Author Topic: Autocomplete doesn't work between Inbox and Music  (Read 2284 times)

jonap

Using the tag editor, autocomplete is a very useful feature that brings you immediately a tag you already used
Though, if you use Inbox to edit your files and then send them to Music once they are done, it basically removes that feature, cause autocomplete will only suggets tags used on files still in the Inbox

Is it possible to make it global rather than local?

jonap

actually now I notice that's not even the problem I guess
even after moving the files in Music, tags already used don't pop up anymore

basically, had files in Inbox, tagged files, tags were shown in autocomplete
sent files to Music, tags are not shown anymore in autocomplete in Inbox nor Music
tag new files with new tags, and only those new tags now are shown in autocomplete

so basically it's like everytime you send the files somewhere, MB forget their tags

phred

• Global Moderator
so basically it's like everytime you send the files somewhere, MB forget their tags
Obviously you're doing something wrong. I've been on the forum for more than ten years and this is the first time I can recall someone claiming this is a bug.
Please provide us with a step-by-step of what you're doing so we can show you what you're doing wrong.
Screenshots may also be helpful.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

jonap

sorry, I don't know why but I kept saying Music instead of Video

apparently this doesn't happen with music files sent from Inbox to Music
but it happens with video files sent from Inbox to Video

and for "MB forget their tags" I don't mean the tags disappear from the files, everything works fine
I just meant, that typing a letter in the fields of the tag editor will not provide suggestions anymore, after you send the files to Video, even if other files have that tag

phred

• Global Moderator
Since I don't use MB for videos, I can't help you any further.
But you might want to still provide a step-by-step of what you're doing. And post before and after screenshots.
What version of MB are you using? (Help > About)
How was MB installed? (Installer, Portable, Store)

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

jonap

not sure how you can screenshot something like this
anyway

MB is portable, version 3.4.7757 P

step by step is

1- have a video file in Inbox
2- open the Tag Editor (Shift+Enter)
3- write "MyTag" in the Artist tag and save
3b - if you go to other files, and start typing "M" in the Artist tag, the autocomplete window will suggest "MyTag"

the problem is

4 - right click, send to Video and close MB
4 - reopen MB and if you go to other files, and start typing "M" in the Artist tag, the autocomplete window doesn't suggest "MyTag" anymore, despite it still being the Artist tag of a file

if you do the same for a music file, and send it to Music Library, it works fine
with a video file, sent to Video, it doesn't

jonap

an update just to add other details to the bug

after the file is sent to Video and the tags are not suggested anymore, if you save the file again, without making any change, but just saving it, so it says "0 files have been updated", then suddenly the tags are back in the autocomplete

so I tought, I just select all the files, save them and it's done, but no, doesn't work
it only works for 1 single tag (1 file, or multiple files with the same value tag, but not multiple files with different values for the same tag)

phred

• Global Moderator
3- write "MyTag" in the Artist tag and save
3b - if you go to other files, and start typing "M" in the Artist tag, the autocomplete window will suggest "MyTag"
The file has to be in the library before the auto-complete kicks in.
Edit file #1 and send it to the library.
Edit file #2 and you'll see the auto-complete works.
At least that's the way it works with music files and I see no reason why it would work differently with video.
And if you're adding the same artist (or any tag) to multiple files, why are you doing it one by one?
Select the multiple files and edit the common tags all at once. No need to do them one by one unless they are completely unique.

if you do the same for a music file, and send it to Music Library, it works fine with a video file, sent to Video, it doesn't
See what you said there?
It works because you sent it to the library.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

jonap

The file has to be in the library before the auto-complete kicks in.
so Video is not part of the library but Music and Inbox are?

anyway I am not sure that's actually the reason

if I edit a file already in Video with a new tag, that new tag will appear in autocomplete in Inbox too (as it should)
Only when you send the file from Inbox to Video, the tag disappear, and then reappear if you edit the file again in Video

Video is not the problem, the travel from Inbox to Video is

phred

• Global Moderator
so Video is not part of the library but Music and Inbox are?
Again, I don't use MB for/with video so someone else will have to address this and the rest of your issue. Perhaps Steven when he has the time.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
Files in the Video node are not included for autocomplete tags - just the files in Music and Inbox. Thats so as not to clutter the auto-complete with irrelevant tags for most music files.
Put a wishlist request if you like but unless there is some demand expressed for it its doubtful i would change the current behavior.

jonap

Thanks for the reply, yeah it makes sense that for most uses it only clutter the autocomplete, so I get it
thanks