Author Topic: Notepad++ File Associations  (Read 4644 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
Technically this thread involves MusicBee, but I thought it should go in the Beyond MusicBee section as it pertains to more than just MB.

I have NP++ set to be the default application for various file extensions, including .dat. Seasoned MB users will know that the Error Log has a .dat extension.  Using a file explorer to file ErrorLog.dat in MB's AppData directory, double-clicking it will open it in NP++. And that's a good thing. But from within MB, Help > Support > View Error Log, it opens in Windows notepad. When looking at Windows default applications, .dat is set for NP++. So why does MB open it in notepad?

I also have the same problem with .png files. FastStone Image Viewer if my default image viewing app. But trying open a png file by double-clicking, always brings up the Windows dialog "Choose which app to open this file." Fast Stone in an option and I select it and also check "always use this app to open these files." But it never does?

Any ideas?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

sveakul

I also have the same problem with .png files. FastStone Image Viewer if my default image viewing app. But trying open a png file by double-clicking, always brings up the Windows dialog "Choose which app to open this file." Fast Stone in an option and I select it and also check "always use this app to open these files." But it never does?
Any ideas?

phred when you go into W10 default apps settings and click the link "Choose default apps by file type", when you scroll down to png is FastStone shown there?  I seem to recall I had to do this once for an extension I thought should have been picked up by the default app but wasn't.

phred

• Global Moderator
when you scroll down to png is FastStone shown there?
Yes, it most definitely is. As is Notepad++ for .dat.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

sveakul

Hmm that's a good one.  Does FastStone itself have a section in its preferences where file associations can be set within the app?  And those are all checked?  Maybe that's fighting with the W10 association.

phred

• Global Moderator
Does FastStone itself have a section in its preferences where file associations can be set within the app?  And those are all checked?
Well, it -used- to. Now when you click on 'File Associations" it takes you to the damn Windows default app list. And 'photo viewer is set for FastStone.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

sveakul

phred

• Global Moderator
phred are you using Total Commander also by any chance:
No, I'm using XYplorer. But the thread you linked to gave me an idea to look for a way in XY tp create an internal file association. Not only did I find that XY can do it, it actually worked.
So a tip of the hat to you, sveakul. And take a gold star out of the petty cash box and wear it proudly.

Now, what can I do about NP++ not opening when using MB's Help > Support > View Error Log? It's a slightly different issue than the png files since NP++ opens up all .dat files when either double-clicked or when right-click > open with > NP++. It's only with MB's direct pointer to any of the three (.dat) files available from Help > Support that Windows Notepad opens instead of NP++. Adding an internal file association in XY for .dat doesn't resolve the issue.

I know there are others here who use NP++. Does the Error Log open with NP++ when accessed from within MB?
Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 03:35:40 AM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

I know there are others here who use NP++. Does the Error Log open with NP++ when accessed from within MB?
That happens for me too. I thought it could maybe be changed using NirSoft's filetypesman, but after a very brief try yesterday, I didn't succeed.
Could be me, I may give it a more serious try later.

Maybe it's related to using MB portable? (and Notepad++ portable too)
Also not sure of that though…
Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 11:52:49 AM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for giving it a try, hiccup. The thing is, the Error Log -used- to open in NP++. I can't recall how long ago it started using notepad. Most likely time frame would be right after I reinstalled Win10. I may post a bug report for Steven to take a look at.

I also tried  NirSoft's filetypesman, and spent some time with it and couldn't get it to fix the issue. Which, as far as NP++ and Windows is concerned, isn't an issue. Every .dat file I open, opens with NP++. As I said, even MB's Error Log -if- I open it directly from the AppData directory. It's -only- when I try to open it from the link in the Help menu. Which more and more now sounds like something is wrong in MB.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki