Author Topic: I can't get "Album Sort as" to work, any suggestions ?  (Read 3112 times)

MarcBee

The more I get into MusicBee, the more I understand it and I think it's really a great program.
I still have a little problem though as following:

I want to sort some "Various Artists" Albums with an alternative Album name but I can't get it to work.

What I did so far:
1. Went to the Album -> Edit ->  Sorting -> Album sort as (entered the alternative name)
2. Went to Preferences -> Sorting/Grouping -> Ticked the box "enable custom sort values"
3. Checked in Album Name sorting List if the "sort as" values are there and correct, they are

But the album still doesn't sort by the "sort as" name.
I'm running 3.3.7491 P, the latest full version (standalone)

Am I missing something ?
Thank you for your patience and support :)

hiccup

But the album still doesn't sort by the "sort as" name.
Am I missing something ?

If you mean that you expect the Sort Album name to display under Album, that won't happen. It will only use the Sort Album title to position the Album.
So if you change the sort name of 'A Zebra' to 'Zebra', the album will be positioned at the bottom (Z) instead of at the top (A), but will still display as 'A Zebra'.
Is that what's happening?

MarcBee

@hiccup: Hi, thank you for your feedback, to clarify: I do not expect the Sort Album name to display under the Album, I expect the Sort Album title to position the Album, which is exactly not happening.

hiccup

What view do you use where it doesn't sort as expected?
Does it not even sort correctly when using the 'Album' column in 'Tracks' view?

MarcBee

I am using the Album view, just checked the Track view, in the Track view sorting by "Album" view it actually does sort correctly.... any idea why it doesn't do that in Album view ? Thank you for your help :)

hiccup

You can/should adjust the sorting rules for that view so that it uses 'Album'.

MarcBee

Excellent, that did the trick  :) , I have a virtual rule running with the sorting, had previously the sorting on Album Artist/Year/Album, changed it to Album and the sorting is just like I wanted it  :) and all other tabs still maintained the view I wanted.
Thank you so much for your help, really appreciate it.... happy to learn something new !
Have a wonderful day