Author Topic: Image problems  (Read 2091 times)

gorney

I will do my best to explain this tedious and somewhat complicated problem of not being able to get album art displayed correctly, or at all:

- Most of the time when a track is played, no cover art is displayed, which is annoying because I like to see cover art.
- When no cover art is displayed, sometimes there is something I can do about it: by choosing the.jpg I put in the album folder. But sometimes there is nothing I can do about it because there is no .jpg in the folder and it can't ever find an image using Search Internet for Picture.
-When there is a .jpg in the folder, sometimes there is just the one .jpg that I put there, but more often than not there is not just the .jpg but two other images that MusicBee keeps creating/duplicating on its own, called Cover and folder (I think only Cover starts with a capital letter). I keep deleting these duplicate images but most of the time it recreates them.

So my questions are:
1. Why do tracks play mostly without album art being displayed?
2. Why does MusicBee most often keep duplicating my .jpgs as Cover and folder? I keep deleting them but most often they keep reappearing.

I hope I have explained this clunky problem in a manner that can be understood. It's very frustrating and am guessing has to do with my image settings.

frankz

Check your settings under Edit->Edit Preferences->Tags(1)...artwork and make sure they are appropriate to what you want to do.  

Also check Edit->Edit Preferences->Tags(2)...auto-tagging...artwork and set your providers and options for what you want MB to do automatically.

You don't say what your settings currently are, so it's hard for anyone to tell you what is going wrong.  Screenshots of those two screens would help.

gorney

Thanks. Based on your reply I think I have figured out what the problem is. Happy to post screenshot of 'artwork storage' but 'Insert image' for screenshot requires a URL?

phred

• Global Moderator
Happy to post screenshot of 'artwork storage' but 'Insert image' for screenshot requires a URL?
That's correct. You have to upload the image to a file sharing site such as imgur.com
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

gorney

Do I need to uncheck 'copy picture to folder' and 'copy to the same folder as the music file and name as' ?

frankz

Having all three of those checked doesn't make much sense.  You either want the cover embedded in the file, you want it saved as folder.jpg, or you want it saved as something with a custom name. I doubt you want all three.

Since you list Cover.jpg as your first choice for display, it probably makes the most sense to uncheck the first two.

- Most of the time when a track is played, no cover art is displayed, which is annoying because I like to see cover art.
- When no cover art is displayed...sometimes there is nothing I can do about it because there is no .jpg in the folder and it can't ever find an image using Search Internet for Picture.
Your files need to be tagged properly (correct title, artist and album name) for artwork to be found by the tools in musicbee.  It is very rare that I've been unable to find artwork through MB's tools, and in those instances it's usually things like old or off-label compilations. 

gorney

Having all three of those checked doesn't make much sense.  You either want the cover embedded in the file, you want it saved as folder.jpg, or you want it saved as something with a custom name. I doubt you want all three.
Agreed.

Since you list Cover.jpg as your first choice for display, it probably makes the most sense to uncheck the first two.
I will try that and see what happens.

Your files need to be tagged properly (correct title, artist and album name) for artwork to be found by the tools in musicbee.  It is very rare that I've been unable to find artwork through MB's tools, and in those instances it's usually things like old or off-label compilations.  
I believe they are tagged properly. The vast majority are ripped from commercially available CDs.
Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 10:38:27 PM by gorney

frankz

I believe they are tagged properly. The vast majority are ripped from commercially available CDs.
Being ripped from a commercially available CD doesn't guarantee that the tags are correct. 

There's not really art to it, no pun intended.  The tool searches the selected services for the album as you've tagged it and returns results.  There are some albums that aren't on iTunes or Deezer and that neither Bing nor anyone at fanart.tv have ever heard of, but they are a rare breed.  If you're not finding art for big, commercial, popular albums, the problem is in your tags.

I use this because I like giant art, but as far as depth of results there isn't very much different.  All of these tools do the same thing.