Author Topic: Finally fed up!  (Read 6413 times)

Sven.S.

Hi,

I was once VERY exited about Musicbee, finally for me it has come to an end and the point to say: A big, big error to choose.

I don't get it, why it is such complicated to set up a database structure which doesn't need hours to find songs moved just one folder further and/or tells the user, where it does what with THE USERS data.
I don't get it, why it is such complicated to set up a kind of general "what's happening on YOUR SYSTEM right now"- window, that delivers some more information instead of: "looking for files".
I don't get it, why it is such complicated to implement plugins (created for this "framework") that could interact a little bit more with it's host, instead of giving some "about" message or just "ended without changes" without any output of the cause for the problem (Discogs Tagger).

Yes, i pay tribute to the developer. It is a huge load of work for one person alone. But there's a time to seek support of other programmers and this time has obviously passed long ago.

I had once a very good sorted and well tagged music collection, now I've to start over from the beginning, thanks for that.

hiccup

You are aware that your rant is only saying something about you, right?

phred

• Global Moderator
Your comments tell us nothing about what you're trying to do and why it isn't working for you.

If you'd like to share some specifics as to what you're dissatisfied with, we're a very helpful bunch of users here and would be willing to help you sort out the issues. But if all you want to do is rant and leave, then adios.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

The old forum had a board that (if I recall correctly) was called 'Trash'.
Useless and frustrated comments could be moved there.
Luckily it was hardly ever needed, and so it wasn't carried over to the new forum.

But maybe something like it should be revived?
Don't these frustrated voices also deserve a place to exist?

A suggestion:

(English is not my native language, I am sure this could be improved on)

phred

• Global Moderator

(English is not my native language, I am sure this could be improved on)
I suggest you add this to the Wishlist sub-forum.
Or send it to AvikB for inclusion in the next update.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

sveakul

From the OP's last sentence it seems like he may be one of group of users that went with the "auto-organize, autosweep" options without completely exploring its setup and implications.  And which I personally avoid (it MOVES things.. brrr!).

That said, it's an extremely valuable feature for those who want to do it.  It might be better if in Preferences, it was set off in its own group "Auto-organize" instead of being lumped in with Library or offered during setup, so it looks less innocuous and more "dramatic"--so those who consider doing it are more aware of the major changes the choice involves.  There would also be more "room" in its own section to add some extra comments warning users to carefully check its options first.  My opinion.

Also gotta say that I'm a -1 on the re-inclusion of a "Trash" thread as it may attract trolling for its own sake.

hiccup

From the OP's last sentence it seems like he may be one of group of users that went with the "auto-organize, autosweep" options…
He is not asking for help here, and this is not the 'Questions' board.

Also gotta say that I'm a -1 on the re-inclusion of a "Trash" thread as it may attract trolling for its own sake.
It was mostly a joke, but to be honest I also really see some benefits in having it.
Some frustrated users that give up and find MusicBee not to their liking may feel the need to ventilate their frustration.
Why not give them a safe place to do that? It's a sign of strength and confidence to allow for that too.

Also, posts that are completely useless to other users are currently either ignored by wiser users (not me ;-), or get locked by moderators, but never deleted because the moderators (and I) don't like censorship.
A 'balls' board would give them a perfect board to move such posts to without locking/deleting/banning/censoring, and help in keeping the existing boards clean from useless posts.

There is one important detail in my proposal that is essential, and that is where it says 'no replies please!'.
Trolls want attention, and they wouldn't (shouldn't) get that in the balls board.
Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 06:14:34 PM by hiccup

frankz

If you ask certain folks around here, they'd stick my whole account in the "Trash" thread.  :)

hiccup

If you ask certain folks around here, they'd stick my whole account in the "Trash" thread.  :)
No, you would go into 'balls'.

frankz

No, you would go into 'balls'.
Better than the other way around, I guess.  ;D

phred

• Global Moderator
I +1 your -1.

Keep the trash out of here. No need to give it a home.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

I +1 your -1.

Keep the trash out of here. No need to give it a home.
It now lives in the homes of decent folk.

frankz

Since we're off the rails now in this trash thread anyway, I should take this opportunity to thank you for your long-ago recommendation of ShareX in the screenshot thread and publicly recommend it.  I was inspired to download it yesterday, and it's pretty great.  100% more efficient than the way I was doing it before.

hiccup

Since we're off the rails now in this trash thread anyway, I should take this opportunity to thank you for your long-ago recommendation of ShareX in the screenshot thread and publicly recommend it.  I was inspired to download it yesterday, and it's pretty great.  100% more efficient than the way I was doing it before.
Good to hear!
But I can also understand people being reluctant to install a tool for the sake of posting screenshots.
But once you do, you probably don't want to go back.

phred

• Global Moderator
Yes to hiccup's recommendation to ShareX. I can't remember what he and I were using before then, but it died. Hiccup spend some time searching and told me about ShareX and I've never looked back. I use it for more than just screen grabs for the forum.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki