Author Topic: Two MusicBee instances (different PCs) same setup - different synchronisation ou  (Read 954 times)

yaccoff

Let me explain the setup. 2 PCs (A and B) with the latest version of MusicBee installed. Both PCs references a NAS mapped drive of 'Q:', they both read and process the iTunes library and playlists. MusRun MP3 player connected to PC-A and MusicBee setup to map the E:\Music Folder drive and populate with 4 favourite Playlists. Files transfer successfully to the MusRun device.

Then I unplug from PC-A and some time later plut into PC-B. Configure MusicBee to map M:\Music Folder and the same set of 4 Playlists. Same setup as PC-A, only difference is the mapped drive.

My expectation was that MusicBee would check the set-up of PC-B against the files already transferred to the MusRun and decide no difference. MusicBee always seem to transfer the Playlists regardless (not sure if this is configurable) but can understand why. However, my expectation was incorrect and of it went transferring the same files ot the MusRun. My question is why?

Andy

frankz

There are files in your appdata folder called usb#{giantstringofnumbersandletters}.MBL that, I believe, tell MB which files are on your phone.  

If you really want to be able to sync from different machines and have it be the same, you'd probably have to run portable MB on a network share as well and open that same copy on each of the PCs.  I do this, and it works, although it takes some thinking-through to set up. I don't know if even that would work, though, because the USB address for the phone would be different between the machines.

Personally I just have one computer I sync from because why unduly complicate things that I've already complicated enough with my complex setup? But that's just me.

The Incredible Boom Boom

...you'd probably have to run portable MB on a network share as well and open that same copy on each of the PCs.

This is the way anyone using MusicBee with multiple computers should be using it.
If you want to be able to take MB with you (one or more computers is a laptop) then make your MB folder "Always available offline."
Other methods can work, but as you yourself have experienced, @yaccoff, it leads to a big headache.

yaccoff

Thx both for the prompt replies. Much appreciated. I have/did considered put MusicBee on the share, but wouldnt that mean reconfiguring the setup each time, depending on the PC mapping folder given out? I.e. USB map. If so, not the end of the world, will give it a try.

frankz

The music files in your library would need to be referenced as \\COMPUTER NAME\SHARE NAME\*.* rather than by disc names or local folder names.  Your library would have to be opened as \\COMPUTER NAME\SHARE NAME\*.mbl also.  Shortcuts to the Musicbee exe file would need to point to the network share in the same way.  There are a few settings (artist picture location, etc.) that need to be referenced as above.  You can never open the exe a local reference, only by network reference, or else it'll mess up some settings in the settings file.

Like I said, it takes some thinking through, but it is optimal and I'm very happy I did it rather than running a local copy on each machine.  I resisted it for a long time figuring it would be too hard and not work as well, but it wasn't all that hard and works fine.

I should note that all of my machines have gigabit nics and are wired to a gigabit connection.  I can't say how well it would work over wifi, but I imagine it does.
Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 07:33:55 PM by frankz