Author Topic: Using Filters To Create "Sub" Libraries  (Read 6484 times)

Thalion Korvhas

Instead of creating separate libraries in MusicBee for specific purposes, you can use filters instead to split up a combined library. I still keep the audio files separated on my PC in different locations. I personally keep my multimedia files rather structured. I have one "multimedia" directory that contains "main sub directories" for audio, video, etc. In my audio directory, I keep lossy & lossless (archive) files separated. I also keep audio books, podcasts, comedy, radio shows separate from my music files.

The challenge is how to keep these separated in a multimedia manager like MusicBee. I could (and have in the past) create a separate library for each purpose. But everytime you move the library, or make major changes, it is a bit of a pain to modify. If you have 5 libraries, you have to modify all 5. Using filters can solve this.

Also, you can specify that a filter or filters can be only apply when using a certain view to increase flexibility of your filters. In the upper right of the popup window when creating a filter is the option to "display using view".

I will just post a couple of examples of filters that I use on one big combined library in MusicBee. Based on my file structure on my PC, I could just add the "multimedia" folder, or add the "main subfolders" instead to create the library. Then I create a few filters.

Music Filters:

[1] Lossy Music Filter (this is a nested filter using "and"):

Kind > is any of > AAC audio file; MPEG audio file; WMA audio file
       and > Genre > is not any of > Audio Book; Podcast; Radio Show

To nest ("and") you have to click [.] on the right side of the first line of the filter.

[2] Lossless Music Filter (this is a nested filter using "and"):

Kind > is any of > ALAC audio file; FLAC audio file; OGG audio file; Wave audio file; WavPack audio file

To nest ("and") you have to click [.] on the right side of the first line of the filter.

Other Media Filters:

[3] Podcasts (simple filter):

Genre > is > Podcats

[4] Audio Books (simple filter):

Genre > is > Audio Book

If you have a lot of audio books or podcasts & you use the Genre tag, then you can make a custom tag in MusicBee and call it Podcast, Audio Book, etc. Then you can add that tag in place of Genre. I only have 1 genre of audio books & two of podcasts, so I use the Genre tag differently than most people.

One thing to understand. If you want to create conditions for a filter, you have to nest it using the "and / or" function. For example the following filter will not work. If fact it does nothing.

This filter works (simple filter, no conditions):

Kind > is > MPEG audio file
Kind > is > AAC audio file
Kind > is > WMA audio file

This filter does nothing (by adding "is, is not, etc" breaks it):

Kind > is > MPEG audio file
Kind > is > AAC audio file
Kind > is > WMA audio file
Genre > is not > Audio Book
Genre > is not > Podcast
Genre > is not > Radio Show

Instead use this:

Kind > is any of > AAC audio file; MPEG audio file; WMA audio file

Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 04:36:04 PM by Thalion Korvhas

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Note that you can choose to create and apply specific layout settings for each filter, too. I have a filter for classical music that is very different from my "all" layout
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Thalion Korvhas

Note that you can choose to create and apply specific layout settings for each filter, too. I have a filter for classical music that is very different from my "all" layout

Thanks for pointing that out. I have added to the post.