Author Topic: Disable MusicBee getting ratings from files' tags  (Read 7159 times)

SonicRings

What exactly do I do here? I don't understand what you mean by "Rename one of those to your liking and then move existing to new and you're done."
I'm sorry, but I can't sit here and hold your hand. You've got to do some work yourself. Have you read the Wiki? Have you searched the forum?
I have a fair idea, but I'm trying to understand what it is you're trying to get me to do here? What is this going to accomplish exactly? Sorry for being confused.

I think all I need to do is simply rename the tags MusicBee looks for when getting ratings to something it doesn't look for, as I said in my previous post. All I need to know is which tags it looks for when getting ratings. Then I can rename them.
Does it look for anything that starts with the word "Rating"? Since it sees both "Rating" and "Rating WMP" from what I've noticed.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
@SonicRings
As frankz has already pointed out, all media players are writing to the same tag (POPM in mp3, RATING for VorbisComment, WM/SharedUserRating in wma)
so unless Steven implemented the POPM tag as per the ID3.org standard -
4.18. Popularimeter

The purpose of this frame is to specify how good an audio file is. Many interesting applications could be found to this frame such as a playlist that features better audiofiles more often than others or it could be used to profile a person's taste and find other 'good' files by comparing people's profiles. The frame is very simple. It contains the email address to the user, one rating byte and a four byte play counter, intended to be increased with one for every time the file is played. The email is a terminated string. The rating is 1-255 where 1 is worst and 255 is best. 0 is unknown. If no personal counter is wanted it may be omitted. When the counter reaches all one's, one byte is inserted in front of the counter thus making the counter eight bits bigger in the same away as the play counter ("PCNT"). There may be more than one "POPM" frame in each tag, but only one with the same email address.

<Header for 'Popularimeter', ID: "POPM">
Email to user   <text string> $00
Rating          $xx
Counter         $xx xx xx xx (xx ...)
with email addresses to hold separate player ratings, then it just wouldn't be feasible.

If you have 'store ratings in the music file' unchecked, then your original Winamp ratings are not going to be overwritten. Mb will save any changed rating to the database and display it, but the original rating stored in the file can still be viewed in the Tag Inspector.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

SonicRings

If you have 'store ratings in the music file' unchecked, then your original Winamp ratings are not going to be overwritten. Mb will save any changed rating to the database and display it, but the original rating stored in the file can still be viewed in the Tag Inspector.
Indeed, I found that to be the case thankfully. In the past I do recall MusicBee re-rating files whose rating tags differed from the internal rating, but since this doesn't happen anymore, I can simply re-rate the files internally and be on my merry way.