Author Topic: Disable MusicBee getting ratings from files' tags  (Read 7077 times)

SonicRings

But I don't want to lose the ratings I've given my files way back when I still used winamp.
I hope you understand that this is about improving MusicBee where it benefits a certain majority of users.

I may be reading the above quote wrong, but I read it as if:
You have rated songs in the past with Winamp, and at this moment in time you now using MusicBee you may have some different opinions on how you want to rate some tracks. But for sentimental reasons you would also like to keep the old ratings available somehow.

I truly hope I am completely misunderstanding.
If not I will change my -1 to -googol
I think I should mention that NONE of the tracks that have rating tags would have ratings in MusicBee. They should be un-rated. But yes, I would like to keep the tracks' ratings for sentimental reasons.

Again, if I don't allow musicbee to SAVE ratings to tags, I would naturally also want musicbee to not GET ratings from tags. However, the way it works now, musicbee will GET ratings from tags regardless of the setting. It doesn't make a ton of sense to satisfy one of these and not the other.

phred

• Global Moderator
I truly hope I am completely misunderstanding.
You can surely do better than that. Change it to -googolplex
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

The Incredible Boom Boom

Lol

I've never written ratings from MusicBee to tags. So no, since the files I rate in MusicBee don't have a rating tag, they're not recognized as having a rating by Winamp.

My philosophy regarding giving credence to other user's requests (tag-wise) is that if it can be done with MusicBee, Picard, beets, MP3TAG, whatever.............. it shouldn't really be a priority. 🤷🏿‍♂️
To the point and to my comment in your other thread, your current approach (as I understand it) seems needlessly complicated, when there is a fairly accessible method that can be used to simplify and thus solve your problem.

I'm noticing a lot of familiar faces -1'ing me here. I guess it's the same people who view every request and thus vote more than normal users. I'm curious if other users feel this way about this request because currently it just seems like the few users contributing all share the same opinion and would see no benefit to this request, and are adding a bunch of downvotes that would be quite difficult for other regular users to counterbalance with their upvotes simply because other regular users don't check every wishlist in the wishlist section.

Nobody ever +1s my wishes... 😥
It is what it is.

hiccup

Don't take this personal SonicRings, you are voicing and expressing an opinion and I respect that.
I'm only expressing mine.

-googol^googolplex to the wish

phred

• Global Moderator
However, the way it works now, musicbee will GET ratings from tags regardless of the setting.
This implies your tracks are getting rated automatically. Is that so?
I admit I'm really confused here. If you don't want the ratings saved, don't -rate- them.
If you -do- rate them, but don't want to see them, don't -display- them.

I really can't see Steven implementing something like this for a one use request.

In the more than ten years I've been on the forum, I've never seen a request to have a tag stored as part of the file -and- as part of the database.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

Nobody ever +1s my wishes... 😥
I'm in a soft mood right now. Point me to a reasonable wish of yours and I will +googol it.

edit
why are you hidden, feels like talking to some ghost
Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 10:31:51 PM by hiccup

SonicRings

However, the way it works now, musicbee will GET ratings from tags regardless of the setting.
This implies your tracks are getting rated automatically. Is that so?
I admit I'm really confused here. If you don't want the ratings saved, don't -rate- them.
If you -do- rate them, but don't want to see them, don't -display- them.

I really can't see Steven implementing something like this for a one use request.

In the more than ten years I've been on the forum, I've never seen a request to have a tag stored as part of the file -and- as part of the database.

No, I've never had my tracks get rated automatically. I rate them all myself. The issue is that tracks that already have ratings in the tags are also being shown as rated. I've said this several times, but I DO NOT store ratings in the files. I already mentioned that I have that option unchecked, which is why I expected musicbee to also not get the ratings from the tags.
The tag is ALREADY stored as part of the file AND the database. How else would my ratings be able to exist in tracks that don't have the Rating tag?

Thank you all for contributing, I appreciate the traction my thread has gotten. Seeing as this won't be implemented, I'll go ahead and rename the tags to something MusicBee won't recognize as being a rating so as to preserve them. This will sadly break compatibility, but it's better than outright deleting them.

Can someone please tell me which tags MusicBees takes into consideration so I can track down the tags in which to rename?
I have so far found the following:
RATING
RATING WMP
Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 10:40:48 PM by SonicRings

frankz

You have rated songs in the past with Winamp, and at this moment in time you now using MusicBee you may have some different opinions on how you want to rate some tracks. But for sentimental reasons you would also like to keep the old ratings available somehow.
The way you put it so clearly here made realize that keeping this information is as simple as copying the data to an unused tag somewhere - either appending it to the comment (very easy in mp3tag) or a an unused tag or custom tag defined as type "rating"

SonicRings

The way you put it so clearly here made realize that keeping this information is as simple as copying the data to an unused tag somewhere - either appending it to the comment (very easy in mp3tag) or a an unused tag or custom tag defined as type "rating"
That's literally what I asked in my previous post.

hiccup

Can someone please tell me which tags MusicBees takes into consideration so I can track down the tags in which to rename?
I have so far found the following:
RATING
RATING WMP
I don't really understand what 'into consideration' means here, but I am pretty sure that if you would rephrase/explain it and post it on the Questions board you will get some useful answers.

phred

• Global Moderator
When you look at the Custom Tags dialog, you'll see a number of slots that save to the MB database only. Rename one of those to your liking and then move existing to new and you're done.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

SonicRings

When you look at the Custom Tags dialog, you'll see a number of slots that save to the MB database only. Rename one of those to your liking and then move existing to new and you're done.
Interesting, can you please elaborate? I don't have much experience with the Custom Tags dialog.

phred

• Global Moderator
https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Custom_Tags

Preferences > Tags (1) > custom tags

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

SonicRings

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Custom_Tags

Preferences > Tags (1) > custom tags

What exactly do I do here? I don't understand what you mean by "Rename one of those to your liking and then move existing to new and you're done."

phred

• Global Moderator
What exactly do I do here? I don't understand what you mean by "Rename one of those to your liking and then move existing to new and you're done."
I'm sorry, but I can't sit here and hold your hand. You've got to do some work yourself. Have you read the Wiki? Have you searched the forum?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki