Author Topic: Where Does MB Look for Lyrics?  (Read 1010 times)

Mauser69

I have never paid attention to lyrics in MB, so this is a new subject for me.  I have done a search here, and although there are many posts about lyrics, nothing seems to really give me the basics.

Although many of the albums/songs in my library do show lyrics when played, many main-stream artists do not.  One example of something that really surprises me to not show lyrics is .38 Special, The sound of Your Voice, or Bone Against Steel.

I looked for the information in the MB Wiki, and it says that there are 4 included sources for lyrics:  ChartLyrics, LyricWiki, Gracenote, and LoloLyrics.
In the Preferences | Tags (2), under auto-tagging, lyrics:, I only see chartlyrics.com and LoloLyrics.  And even with just those two, I can manually find Bone Against Steel on chartlyrics, so why doesn't MB?

Have LyricWiki and Gracenote been dropped, or should I be looking somewhere else for this information?

I have found another very old thread (2017) with instructions for adding .yml files to the appdata folder, but I would like to understand what is going on before I just start following posts from that long ago.  Thanx

phred

• Global Moderator
Have LyricWiki and Gracenote been dropped, or should I be looking somewhere else for this information?
Gracenote has definitely been dropped. And probably LyricWiki also, but I'm not 100% certain.

I suggest you get the Lyrics Reloaded (Updated) plugin. It integrates quite nicely with MB. Find and read the thread for a list of the current providers.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

sveakul

LyricWiki is definitely gone, dropped by its host a while back.  You need LyricsReloaded (Updated) to find anything, and that does a great job.

Mauser69

Thanx for the replies.  I had no idea LyricsReloaded had an updated version - the outdated documentation I found said it had been abandoned in 2014.  I have that installed now, and it solved many of the missing lyrics (including those songs from .38 special).  Still can't find most songs by Ace, but I have learned a lot more about how MB does this now.