Author Topic: Ability to override full playlist sync (Ticked/unticked)  (Read 1020 times)

bigdonkey1

I've been using musicbee to sync my library for about 8 months now and it mostly works, but the list of caveats and hoops to jump through to achieve basic functionality parity with where i was at with itunes is incredibly frustrating. All i want to do is sync my playlists but not sync unticked tracks for whatever reason. As it stands the sync option currently only offers "Sync all music", "Sync random music", "Sync playlists" and "Sync Folders". Of these, the most useful for selectively syncing tracks is "Sync Playlists", but the playlist option seemingly ignores the ticked/unticked status of a track and syncs a full playlist regardless of contents, which syncing all music does not.

The only solution anyone seems to have to this is "create an auto-playlist", which I've done and now have to have mirrored auto-playlists for every single playlist i create on the off-chance i dare tick/untick a song. This is not only a frustrating amount of work when creating a new playlist, these auto-playlists seem to be prone to deciding to sort themselves differently than the original playlists (a fact I am often unaware of until they've already synced and i'm away from my computer) and bloat the playlist selection box which is already difficult to manage a large number of playlists in as it is (the ability to sync by folder would be nice too, but that's less the issue here).

This is a frankly needless amount of extra work to achieve something that could be easily achieved through an option in the sync menu that allows the user to decide whether to sync Ticked/Unticked when syncing playlists.

Would this be possible? please?

frankz

Comment made in the most friendly way possible.  You have asked about and requested this a number of times in a number of different ways over time.   There is apparently very little interest in ticking functionality.  Repeatedly flogging at it is probably not going to change that.

My suggestion would be not to add songs you don't want to play to your playlists.

Hope this helps. Have a great day!

bigdonkey1

Well i figured if i mentioned it enough the way it's handled might actually be addressed. considering the last time was 5 months ago and steve straight up said "i don't know why this is the way it is" and then didn't respond when i asked "can this be changed".
I'm asking it to be changed or added as a feature in the section where you ask for things to be changed or added as a feature. Isn't that what you're supposed to do?

Here's a thread of somebody with exactly the same issue asking the exact same thing and had the same answer of "well i guess i'll figure something out on my own".
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=25239.0
or another complaint about it on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/musicbee/comments/jr9p9y/is_there_a_way_to_actually_exclude_unticked_tracks/

Simply creating a playlist entitled "artist name" and featuring all of their tracks in release order should not require multiple layers of extrapolation in order to keep things grouped together for navigation without having to have a secret track with 6 minutes of silence at the start thrown into your gym rotation on a separate machine. The fact that syncing not only includes unticked songs but BANNED songs, which won't even play on a playlist in musicbee itself , there is clearly something strange about it and changes that could be made or options made visible to the end user about how it automatically handles things.

Given that syncing already checks for tick status as a marker for syncing i'm just asking that functionality be given a toggle to extend to the "sync playlists" function as well as "sync all music"

I've been using musicbee for a decade now and this is the first major oversight it has and one far-reaching enough that i've spent months on my own trying to find workarounds and even with them it's been pretty ruinous to the entire experience.