Author Topic: Locating album in explorer changes the date modified of the album folder  (Read 2488 times)

SonicRings

Locating album in explorer changes the date modified of the album folder to the current time. This doesn't happen when locating a track in explorer, just when locating the album itself (clicking on the album in album view and locating in explorer).

Version 3.4.7536 P

Steven

• Administrator
I dont know what you mean by "Locating album in explorer", but in any case MB wont be updating any files when locating files. Perhaps you are looking at the last accessed time rather than the last modified time

SonicRings

I dont know what you mean by "Locating album in explorer", but in any case MB wont be updating any files when locating files. Perhaps you are looking at the last accessed time rather than the last modified time
I have a shortcut key set for "General: Locate Selected Track in Windows Explorer" which is what I mean by "Locating album in explorer".
I'm not looking at the last accessed time, please see the below screenshot.

These albums all had their "date modified" changed to the current time when I used my hotkey with the album selected, but without any specific track selected. I also managed to spot a file (I guess temp file?) appear then disappear inside the folder once when doing it. I guess MusicBee generates a file in order to open explorer, then deletes it? I really don't know why this is happening, and it doesn't even happen 100% of the time, but when it does it's somewhat annoying considering nothing is actually being modified.

Steven

• Administrator
I guess MusicBee generates a file in order to open explorer, then deletes it?
No - MB just calls the SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems windows api to open the folder

frankz

I can confirm that running multiple right click->Search->locate in Windows Explorer searches just now resulted in no changed "Date Modified" dates for the folders that contained the searched files.

SonicRings

I guess MusicBee generates a file in order to open explorer, then deletes it?
No - MB just calls the SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems windows api to open the folder
Well, I don't know what's happening so I can't explain it. The fact of the matter remains that this is a thing that happens sometimes.

I can confirm that running multiple right click->Search->locate in Windows Explorer searches just now resulted in no changed "Date Modified" dates for the folders that contained the searched files.
It doesn't happen all the time. It's happened to me 4 times in a row and then stopped happening. I tried again later during the day and it happened a few times again. Keep in mind it only happened when searching the album itself in album art view, not specific tracks.

hiccup

Do you have any antivirus, search indexing, or syncing software on your computer?

SonicRings

Do you have any antivirus, search indexing, or syncing software on your computer?
I have the built in windows defender for my antivirus. Search indexing is the default setting. I am sharing my music directory with my home group (network share) but it's been set up even before I started using musicbee. I've never had this problem before.

hiccup

hiccup

Probably not relevant at all, but I do notice that my header says 'Folder Options', and yours says 'File Explorer Options'.
(I'm on Windows 1809, maybe something has changed with more recent Windows updates)

SonicRings

Probably not relevant at all, but I do notice that my header says 'Folder Options', and yours says 'File Explorer Options'.
(I'm on Windows 1809, maybe something has changed with more recent Windows updates)

Interesting. I'm on 1709 myself.

___

Just had this happen again:

hiccup

You mentioned some temp file appearing and disappearing.
If you enable 'show hidden files' and uncheck 'hide protected system files', and keep a sharp eye on the folder when you use your shortcut key, maybe that gives some clue about what's happening?

edit:
Are there any files in these folders that get their timestamp changed?
(e.g. maybe a hidden folder.jpg)
Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 06:37:53 PM by hiccup

SonicRings

You mentioned some temp file appearing and disappearing.
If you enable 'show hidden files' and uncheck 'hide protected system files', and keep a sharp eye on the folder when you use your shortcut key, maybe that gives some clue about what's happening?

edit:
Are there any files in these folders that get their timestamp changed?
(e.g. maybe a hidden folder.jpg)
Very good suggestion: I've determined that the creation of a Thumbs.db file is what's causing the folders' date modified attribute to update. As for why some folders have a Thumbs.db and some don't, I haven't the faintest clue. I could have sworn Windows just made them automatically. As for my initial sighting of a temp file being created and removed, that wasn't the Thumbs.db itself. No idea what that could have been.

Looks like it only makes one whenever the folder is accessed, and since I don't actually access the folder after putting it in my library, it never got a chance to create one?
Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 05:21:19 AM by SonicRings

hiccup

I've determined that the creation of a Thumbs.db file is what's causing the folders' date modified attribute to update.
Great, now that that is established it probably won't be too difficult to google for a solution. (or just live with it and don't worry about it ;-)