Author Topic: MusicBee can't read a podcast URL that works in other podcatchers  (Read 1881 times)

Ein

I have a URL for a podcast feed (https://pinecast.com/feed/the-minnmax-show) that won't work in MusicBee, but it works in two other podcast programs I've tried.  

In more detail, the exact error message in MusicBee is "Unable to verify the validity of this URL" (i.e. after by performing the steps "Add Subscription Link" and then pasting the URL into first field inside the "Create Subscription" window).  Likewise, if I try to "search podcast directory" and lookup the podcast's name on iTunes (typing "MinnMax" into the search bar), it will find the podcast but MusicBee will say "The podcast subscription link is no longer valid" in italic text on the right side of the window.

In my troubleshooting I've found that it is easy to speculate upon a possible culprit.  If you visit the URL you get what appears to be a simple, clean webpage instead of the expected, messy XML feed.  On the bottom of this page though you get the explanation:

How can I see the RSS feed's XML?

Use the View Source option in your browser on this page. This page is the feed, what you're seeing is just a nice stylesheet on top of it.

Now I only have a surface level understanding of web programming, but indeed, other podcatchers I've tried can see through the stylesheet to the underlying XML.

phred

• Global Moderator
I have a URL for a podcast feed (https://pinecast.com/feed/the-minnmax-show) that won't work in MusicBee, but it works in two other podcast programs I've tried.  
What version of MB are you using? (Help > About)
How was MB installed? (Installer, Portable, Store)
I had no trouble adding the referenced URL (https://pinecast.com/feed/the-minnmax-show) to MB as a new podcast and downloading the recent episode.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

phred

• Global Moderator
In that case try updating to the latest 3.4 patch. See my sig.
Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 11:53:28 AM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator

Ein

Ok, I got it working after updating.  It was odd though.  At first, I put in a new subscription link and it said "scanning for details" at the bottom of the window for a very long time, so I left for a few minutes and when I came back it had the same error "could not verify the validity of the URL".  Frustrated, I immediately tried again and it worked.