Author Topic: SW Version in "patch" ZIP  (Read 1582 times)

gobater

Hi,

Is there a way to know which exact SW version (build) is inside a patch ZIP? 

Since patches are not "announced" anywhere, I am periodically downloading them (https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip). However, there is no need for me to "overwrite" the files if they are equal to the ones I have installed.

Maybe a README.txt file could be included in the ZIP file with some details about the build?

phred

• Global Moderator
Extract the .ext from the ZIP to your desktop. Right-click it > Properties > Details
That will show you the version.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

gobater

@phred, thanks for your reply but that's unfortunately not so straight-forward...

Why not having a text-file with the version inside it, or even better the name of the text-file is the version itself --> No need to extract anything, just list the files

The Incredible Boom Boom

@phred, thanks for your reply but that's unfortunately not so straight-forward...

Why not having a text-file with the version inside it, or even better the name of the text-file is the version itself --> No need to extract anything, just list the files

Because it would be just another thing for Steven to do and frankly it's unnecessary.
There's very little reason to patch the program each time one is released, so unless you're experiencing a persistent issue, it's ok to go weeks without needing to update.

phred

• Global Moderator
Because it would be just another thing for Steven to do and frankly it's unnecessary.
Every time Steven issued a patch he would have to give the patch a new file name. Which would mean he'd have to change the download link. Which would, as Boom Boom says, would be more work for Steven. Especially when Steven is issuing three or four patches a week. The way it is now, there's one link that always has the latest patch.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

gobater

@phred: I think you have not read (or not understood) my message. Probably my english is too bad.

I am not asking to have a different link, or a different ZIP. I am talking about a file within the ZIP which name relates to the SW version... then it would be very easy to know what is inside without unpacking the file... "listing the contents of the ZIP"

@Boom Boom, would that really be more work? Continuous Integration scripts could create the file and put it into the ZIP... so I don't see more effort. Nevertheless, I could agree with you that there is no need to have the latest patch, but I guess it's a good practice to check the latest patch before posting a bug report... don't you agree?

phred

• Global Moderator
I am not asking to have a different link, or a different ZIP. I am talking about a file within the ZIP which name relates to the SW version... then it would be very easy to know what is inside without unpacking the file... "listing the contents of the ZIP"
Yes, I do understand what you're asking for. But I still feel it's not necessary. And it's still more work for Steven.

but I guess it's a good practice to check the latest patch before posting a bug report... don't you agree?
Absolutely. We always recommend trying the latest patch before posting a bug since it's possible the bug has already been fixed. So just download the latest patch and apply it. No need to know what version it is, because more than likely it's newer than what you've been using.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

gobater

Yes, I do understand what you're asking for. But I still feel it's not necessary. And it's still more work for Steven.

Being necessary or not, is a different discussion (far away from creating a new link and lots of effort). I guess it was me who didn't understood you then when you talked about a new download link. The time I consider worth talking about this has been exceeded.

I am happy to enjoy a software like MusicBee and thankful to Steven to make it available. Using the "last patch" I see myself sometimes as a "beta tester" and I am willing to contribute (at a very small scale in the further development of Music Bee). I would even be willing to make use of my software skills helping to analyze fix many of the bugs/feature requests I report if the software would be open source but that has already been discussed and I respect the Steven's wish.

Mauser69

I feel kinda like a dunce now, 'cause this whole thread just does not make any sense to me.  When I go to the "Latest Version" forum to look for updates, every file DOES have the version number in the name.  So I co not understand the complaint?  What more is being asked for than this (snipped from the most current download link):   /MusicBee_Setup_3_4_7735.zip?dl=1

This is an "Incremental update that includes all changes since version 3.3", so why look for anything else to get the latest version?  I always assumed that using those links was the best way to update MB.
Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 10:33:38 AM by Mauser69

phred

• Global Moderator
The OP is referring to the patch versions that Steven issues. Those are not listed in the 'Latest Version' sub-forum. The patches are always more recent than what's listed in the sub-forum. See my sig for a link to the most recent patch. Which Steven updates a couple of times a week. What the OP wants to know is how to tell that the most recent patch is newer than the version he's already using. Since the patch never contains a version number. I suppose the only real way to know there's a new patch is to follow the forum regularly as that's where Steven mentions it. Typically in response to a new feature being implemented or enhanced. Or a bug squashed.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

frankz

Why not just look at the date and download from here?

hiccup

I also usually look at the date here  https://getmusicbee.com/patches/ to see if it's maybe time to update.
But it's still kindof a guess, since on the forum, release versions are mentioned, not dates.
So I can also see some value if those were aligned and more clearly indicated.

frankz

I also usually look at the date here  https://getmusicbee.com/patches/ to see if it's maybe time to update.
Ha I saw your post in the other thread and thought it would be helpful to this.
I'm leaving my post, but for the record @hiccup made me think of it - he's the originator.