Author Topic: Update path\filename of specific song in playlist  (Read 2148 times)

TP

Using MusicBee 3.3.7491P
Sometimes I move files to different folders and/or rename them.
This causes MusicBee to lose that particular song.
When I try to update MusicBee with the new path\filename, MusicBee will not accept the update.
The update is done by:
1) In the "Playlist" window right-click on the song to be updated
2) Choose "Edit"
3) Choose "Properties"
4) In the "location:" (where the previous path\filename is) paste the new, updated, path\filename
5) Click "Save"
6) MusicBee auto-reverts the location to the previous, non-existent, location (if I press "ENTER" I get the error message "File not found at expecdted location)
MusicBee will not accept the update.
However, if I delete the, old, song from the playlist and the new one "location" is now identical to what I was pasting.
How can I update the path\filename in MusicBee without removing/adding the song? I would like to do this individually, not "Relink", since this applies to a few songs within only one of my playlists. And the filename may, or may not, be different.

phred

• Global Moderator
You can't change the path using 'properties.' You -can- change the filename.

The best way to move the file(s) and directory is with the computer node. Drag and drop from one to another.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

TP

I am new to MusicBee. Does "with the computer node." refer to MusicBee or to the OS?
Also,
1) Just in case "computer node" refers to the OS. Moving of the files is done through Windows Explorer. MusicBee does not follow/update/link the file to the new location.
2) Is there a way, once the file has been moved and MusicBee still points to the original file, to update the file, within MusicBee, without removing and adding the file?
Hope this makes it clearer. Being new to MusicBee makes difficult to know what to post since I do not know any of the available options.

MTVhike

I don't know if this is the preferred way, but when I want to move a file into the directory which MB is using, I stop and close MB, move the file within Windows to the desired directory, then start MB again, this time "Run as Administrator".

phred

• Global Moderator
No need to run as admin.

Computer node is on the left side panel. Right-click on it and you can set up which directories to see or hide. I suggest you spend some time with the WiKi
https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Navigator

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I don't know if this is the preferred way, but when I want to move a file into the directory which MB is using, I stop and close MB, move the file within Windows to the desired directory, then start MB again, this time "Run as Administrator".

Do you have a monitored folder set to scan on startup? That's the only way I could see this being useful (and as phred says, no need to run as admin). Also, it won't help with relocating a file already in MB, only with adding new ones via the monitored folder scan. If files are in MusicBee, best practice is to move them with MusicBee.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

MTVhike

Yes, I have both the old and new folders continuously monitored, but I am MOVING the file from the old to the new, so it's no longer in the old. If it's coming from some other folder (such as Downloads), I also move it to the new folder.  I don't know where I got the idea that I should run as Administrator.

phred

• Global Moderator
I don't know where I got the idea that I should run as Administrator.
As far as I can recall, the only thing that -sometimes- needs to be run as admin, is when you're trying to set file associations from within MB.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

BeeMusicBee

I have a similar issue, the only workaround that I found was to alter the playlist using notepad and add the path manually.