Author Topic: Question about audio setting and wasapi playback quality noob question?  (Read 5464 times)

gaiastar

So to be clear,
You start MusicBee playing. Then you start Audacity playing.
Then MusicBee keeps playing uninterrupted, together with Audacity?
Hi
yes , they keep playing together , MusicBee keeps playing uninterrupted and audacity
but if I use goldwave 5.70 32bit (Love this software and I bought it ) and i have tried goldwave 64bit , audacity cc wasapi , and another editor software i have tried
as soon I start an editor above , musicbee stops to play and give me a bass error
so they work in wasapi exlusive , not audacity
MusicBee is the best audio player ever made, Love it ♫♫

hiccup

yes , they keep playing together , MusicBee keeps playing uninterrupted and audacity

Strange. When I do that Audicity will not play and displays an 'Error opening sound device'.

gaiastar

Strange. When I do that Audicity will not play and displays an 'Error opening sound device'.
hi maybe it's the your audiocard on your motherboard  ,with a scarlett audacity  , with others no
I use audacity portable maybe it's why i doesn't use wasapi exclusive

hiccup

To be honest I'm not sure my Audacity is indeed playing back in exclusive mode.
When Audacity plays, and I then start MusicBee, Audacity stops.
If it was playing in exclusive mode I am guessing MusicBee would throw an error.

But what I find very strange in your case is that MusicBee seems to get kicked out of exclusive mode when you start Audacity.
Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:55:05 PM by hiccup

sveakul

To be honest I'm not sure my Audacity is indeed playing back in exclusive mode.
When Audacity plays, and I then start MusicBee, Audacity stops.
If it was playing in exclusive mode I am guessing MusicBee would throw an error.
Same here--when MusicBee starts (using exclusive), Audacity (set to "Wasapi") just stops and MB plays.

I use audacity portable maybe it's why i doesn't use wasapi exclusive
My Audacity is portable too, but so is my MB and 2 other players that definitely are in wasapi-exclusive, so that wouldn't seem to be a factor
Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 03:56:54 AM by sveakul

gaiastar

Same here--when MusicBee starts (using exclusive), Audacity (set to "Wasapi") just stops and MB plays.
hi
why don't you try vice versa ?
run Audacity (set to "Wasapi") , open a audio file and click play and after start musicbee , and let see who stops to play
if musicbee stops means audacity work in wasapi exlusive

sveakul

hi
why don't you try vice versa ?
run Audacity (set to "Wasapi") , open a audio file and click play and after start musicbee , and let see who stops to play
if musicbee stops means audacity work in wasapi exlusive

I'm sorry, my wording wasn't the best.  That's what I DID do,  I should have said "While Audacity was playing set to 'Wasapi', when MusicBee is started (using exclusive), Audacity just stops and MB plays."  If you then hit the "play" button again on Audacity, you get the message that the device is already in use.  So if Audacity is really using exclusive, it is somehow "surrendering" that priority to MusicBee if it is also using exclusive.

Now I'm going to listen to some Gentle Giant and let others figure out what's going on, haha..

vincent kars

All you can do in Audacity 2.4.2 is selecting WASAPI.
You can't select Shared or Exclusive so it is either one or the other.
What sveakul describes point to Audacity using Shared mode.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=113988

hiccup

A solution to make sure you can use different audio applications without them interfering would be to add a second (usb) soundcard.
Then the applications can work completely isolated from each other. (it's what I am doing with Audacity)

sveakul

All you can do in Audacity 2.4.2 is selecting WASAPI.
You can't select Shared or Exclusive so it is either one or the other.
What sveakul describes point to Audacity using Shared mode.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=113988

That was an "interesting" link..  it seems the admin isn't real clear on what wasapi-exclusive actually is, as he says to set the sample rate for the device to match the project.  If Audacity actually was using exclusive, it wouldn't make any difference WHAT the device sample rate was set at. As you said, the experience posted by hiccup and confirmed by me show "shared" mode.

Hiccup's suggestion to add a second soundcard would cover all  bases for gaiastar.

hiccup

That was an "interesting" link..

Hiccup's suggestion to add a second soundcard would cover all  bases for gaiastar.

I wouldn't be surprised if the OP of that thread was the same as 'our' OP…

If the analogue quality of a secondary soundcard is not too relevant, a usb soundcard around $10/20,- could already do the job, since Audacity's editing could stay within the digital audio domain.