Author Topic: Changing Track and Album Titles Without Affecting Sort Titles?  (Read 994 times)

whatthephunk

Hello, hive mind!

I would like to add prefixes to all of my tracks and albums, without impacting their Sort Title Values. Is this possible? For instance....

Track, original name = Divided Sky, with prefix would be I.IV Divided Sky .... to show that it is the fourth song of the first set, but I want the Sort Title to remain "Divided Sky" sans prefix

Album, original name = 2015-08-22 - Magnaball...., with prefix would be N2 2015-08-22 - Magnaball... to show that is it the second night of Magnaball run, but again, have the Sort Album Title to remain sans prefix.

I know that I can edit the Sort Titles back, after adding the prefix, but then that's double work.... seeing if that is avoidable before diving into this project...?

Thanks all!

The Incredible Boom Boom

As you know, you can edit the <Sort Title> tag without affecting <Title>, but I don't believe it's possible to do the other way around.

If you're deadset using that tag, you could use the Additional Tools & Tagging plugin to batch edit <Sort Title> and <Sort Album>, removing the title and album title, after adjusting <Title>/<Album> with the additional information.

Alternatively, you could create two Virtual Tags as the substitutes you need.

whatthephunk

As you know, you can edit the <Sort Title> tag without affecting <Title>, but I don't believe it's possible to do the other way around.

If you're deadset using that tag, you could use the Additional Tools & Tagging plugin to batch edit <Sort Title> and <Sort Album>, removing the title and album title, after adjusting <Title>/<Album> with the additional information.

Alternatively, you could create two Virtual Tags as the substitutes you need.

Thank you, yeah, I know it works in the reverse of what I need. I wanted to use the base Track Title and Album Title fields so that it'll display nicely in the car (and other players) to have that extra prefix info right on the main tag fields for the respective playback screen, even if that screen only shows a basic traditional Track, Album, Artist.

Yeah, I think I will have to batch edit by searching within the Title Field and then group editing the Sort Titles. It should go a little faster than adjusting each track individually as I update the Title tag, but still unfortunate I seemingly can't "lockout" the Sort Fields when editing the respective reference field.

jcoc

Could you not just create a virtual tag for the prefix, and then change views in MB to show the <prefix><title> instead?  That wouldn't affect the sort order, but would still give you the view you want?

Or equally - if you're exporting a playlist to the car, just change the export settings to export the file with <prefix><title>

I think I'm missing something maybe?