Author Topic: Musicbee not "seeing" tracks on inserted CD; Cannot query Accuraterip  (Read 1251 times)

captainkev

Hi all,

I've been using Musicbee for years on my always-on "server" for keeping my music collection organised. It's great (as you know).

On my previous server (a Dell Optiplex), Musicbee wouldn't read any CDs that were inserted into the drive. Other programs would work just fine (VLC, Exact Audio Copy etc), but for some reason Musicbee just wouldn't play ball.

I put it down to some peculiarity of hardware/software/OS install and found a workaround (using a separate PC to rip CDs).

However, I've just moved to a new server (HP Z2 G4), with a new install of Windows, and have come up against the same thing again. When a CD is inserted and I go to Tools -> Rip CD, it just shows blank and a message saying "unable to query AccurateRip" shows up. I'm flummoxed! I've checked Windows firewall allows Musicbee (it does). I've checked with other software - they all read the CD just fine. I've tried several different CDs (all brand new).

Anyone seen this before?

phred

• Global Moderator
What version of MB are you using? (Help > About) INCLUDE THE LETTER (if any) AFTER THE NUMBER
How was MB installed? (Store, Installer, Portable)
Does it work if you disable AccurateRip?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

captainkev

I'm on version 3.5.8249.

Installed via download from main site. When I disable AccurateRip the same thing happens (without the AccurateRip message).

Also, it seems my earlier info was incorrect. EAC does seem to be able to read the disk, but VLC and Windows Media Player definitely CANNOT, so I think it's another Windows OS issue. Which reminds me that I used a Windows debloater script (Windows Decrapifier) after install to remove all the gumph that Windows comes with. I wonder if it has removed some important gumph that lets CDs be readable!

captainkev

Well here's a strange development! Having exhausted all other avenues I just tried running MusicBee as administrator, and hey presto it can read the CDs again.

Anyone know why MusicBee needs to run with admin rights just to read the CD drive?

phred

• Global Moderator
Anyone know why MusicBee needs to run with admin rights just to read the CD drive?
The only time MB needs admin privileges is when setting up it's context menu for Windows. And not every user needs to do it with admin.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
That message would only appear if the accurate rip option is ticked in the rip settings. If you really do want to use that feature then the most likely cause if because MusicBee is being blocked from accessing the internet

captainkev

Thanks Steven. That would probably explain the other problem I'm having - that metadata isn't being loaded for CDs inserted. I'll investigate that further.

Do you have any thoughts on why I would need to run Musicbee as administrator in order for it to be able to read the CD/DVD drive? I've tried all the usual recommended steps of uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, modifying the registry, checking group policy templates. It's definitely a Windows problem as other programs have the same issue.

Steven

• Administrator
I dont know why - I am guessing you are using a windows server version and maybe its more locked down than a standard windows version. Perhaps try a windows forum if no one else here has any suggestions