Author Topic: Error Message Creating Virtual Device  (Read 1267 times)

elphudson09

Hi all,

Not sure if this involves a fairly simple solution or not but I didn't notice where anyone else has had this problem in the same way.

I just bought a Surface Pro 7 with a 512 gb micro sd to stash my music after cloud downloading through iTunes. I much prefer MusicBee and want to use this player as my default.The micro sd was added under virtual devices and now always gives me the following message https://imgur.com/FRGc24m. If I try and delete it under virtual devices it says its in use and cannot be done.

Also, whenever I try and create a virtual device in any other folder to transfer playlists to my phone, I get the same error that the folder no longer exists. https://imgur.com/iGjnzSD. It will show a transfer preview but then gives me the error message when I hit synchronize.

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I'm just obtuse with the function of virtual devices and the solution is fairly reasonable. Thanks.

hiccup

Welcome to the forum elphudson09

Impulsive reply before appointing the issue to a lot of brain cells:

Why using 'virtual device'?
If the drive letter stays the same (or gets applied to the sd card after insertion), using 'virtual device' doesn't seem necessary?

elphudson09

Must have created it that way incidentally but now I'm unable to remove

hiccup

Does it show up under Preferences > Devices > known devices?
Can't you select and delete it there?

phred

• Global Moderator
Does it show up under Preferences > Devices > known devices?
I only used a virtual device once, but I -think- I had to exit MB and delete from the MB directory (can't remember path) using a file explorer.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

I only used a virtual device once, but I -think- I had to exit MB and delete from the MB directory (can't remember path) using a file explorer.
That's how you would remove a library entry, I'm not sure if that would be a good idea on a Virtual Device.

phred

• Global Moderator
That's how you would remove a library entry, I'm not sure if that would be a good idea on a Virtual Device.
Perhaps Steven changed the way to delete a virtual device. This was many years ago and many brain cells have gone for a walk and not returned. So it's possible, actually likely, that I'm mis-remembering.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator
Micro sd shows in known devices https://imgur.com/zH43sYr
You're trying to remove the virtual device, yes? Then what does the sd card have to do with your question?
Click on 'virtual device' and then click 'delete'.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

elphudson09

I'm more concerned with being able to sync my playlists with the other virtual device folder you see in the screenshot. I want to be able to move files to my phone but I get the same message as with micro sd that it doesn't exist.

hiccup

Micro sd shows in known devices https://imgur.com/zH43sYr
That looks like the sd card is not a virtual device, but just a device.
So perhaps the issue here is not about Virtual Devices?

(As a side remark and only for what it's worth, I think only a folder can be made into a Virtual Device, not a card/drive as a whole, but I may be wrong)
Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 11:15:49 PM by hiccup

elphudson09

Hmm. In slightly better context, my phone's usb-c port no longer works so I cannot directly cannot to any devices relying instead on establishing wifi connectivity to move music files. My goal was to use the component android app to sync wirelessly through MusicBee using the virtual device folder to synchronize my selected auto-playlists.  I unfortunately get that error message that the device no longer exists no matter where I create a new folder.

phred

• Global Moderator
I just created a test virtual device. Upon creation, MB asks where to create it. I selected a temp directory and that's where it was created. I closed MB and opened it. Preferences > Devices showed the virtual device. I clicked on 'delete' and it was removed from MB, but the directory still existed. Simple enough to remove it with a file manager.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

elphudson09

Removing the virtual device folder isn't a problem. I am able to do that. It's just that no matter where I attempt to establish one in a a new folder, I get this error message when I attempt to synchronize. https://imgur.com/ECqA19w

phred

• Global Moderator
Close MB. Eject the SD card.
If there's no data on it, reformat it and assign a drive letter.
Start MB.
From the Devices tab in preferences, remove/delete the SD card from the list.
Insert the card and start over.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki