Author Topic: Replacing <Title> with newly made <TranslatedTitle> hides artists?  (Read 1991 times)

SonicRings

I'll quickly explain how I made the TranslatedTitle tag before continuing:

This makes the "Title" tag that displays in the main panel to actually show the TranslatedTitle tag the files have, and falls back to the regular Title tag if a TranslatedTitle tag does not exist.

Now this is where my issue is: this works fine, but I suspect MusicBee has an internally coded check for if the built-in Title tag is being used in this specific view, and if so, it will show the artist tag below the song if it differs from the album artist tag:

With my TranslatedTitle tag, this does not happen:

It is possible to restore this functionality with my TranslatedTitle virtual tag?

The Incredible Boom Boom

In my <LABEL> Virtual Tag, which is substitute for <Title>, this functionality is great, because you can just add the <Artist> into the Virtual Tag if the album is a compilation.

SonicRings

In my <LABEL> Virtual Tag, which is substitute for <Title>, this functionality is great, because you can just add the <Artist> into the Virtual Tag if the album is a compilation.

Can you please elaborate?

The Incredible Boom Boom

My approach is opposite yours, but the process of implementing it is the same.

You need to replace <Title> under "fields displayed" with the Virtual Tag that contains the code Steven provided.

Just add the <Artist> tag to your <TitleTranslate> Virtual Tag.

SonicRings

My approach is opposite yours, but the process of implementing it is the same.

You need to replace <Title> under "fields displayed" with the Virtual Tag that contains the code Steven provided.

Just add the <Artist> tag to your <TitleTranslate> Virtual Tag.

I don't want it to show the Artist beside the Title though, I want it to show beneath it.

The Incredible Boom Boom

I don't want it to show the Artist beside the Title though, I want it to show beneath it.

Yes, that's why I said our approaches were opposite.

But, I didn't look closely enough at your settings and thought <TitleTranslate> was doing something else.
You'll need to create another Virtual Tag that begins with <Artist> and includes the other stuff.

SonicRings

Yes, that's why I said our approaches were opposite.

But, I didn't look closely enough at your settings and thought <TitleTranslate> was doing something else.
You'll need to create another Virtual Tag that begins with <Artist> and includes the other stuff.
But as you can see, there's no place to add an additional tag.

This is why I suspected that MusicBee has an internally coded check for if the built-in Title tag.

The Incredible Boom Boom

This is why I suspected that MusicBee has an internally coded check for if the built-in Title tag.

In the Albums view, it is the case that changing from <Title>  ceases display of <Artist> underneath and you'll have to create a wishlist request if you would like to see this behavior changed. However, I don't think a request would be successful, as it would affect too many other users and the solution is easy enough to implement. Remove the bottom three tags and replace <Bitrate> with a Virtual Tag that begins with <Artist>, plus the other four tags.

SonicRings

In the Albums view, it is the case that changing from <Title>  ceases display of <Artist> underneath and you'll have to create a wishlist request if you would like to see this behavior changed. However, I don't think a request would be successful, as it would affect too many other users and the solution is easy enough to implement. Remove the bottom three tags and replace <Bitrate> with a Virtual Tag that begins with <Artist>, plus the other four tags.

This is a great suggestion! Can you help me out with implementing this? I've made a BitrateArtist virtual tag and set the formula to $If(<Artist>=<Album Artist>,<Bitrate>,<Artist>", "<Bitrate>)

However, this doesn't behave the same as the baked in behaviour. In the following image, you can see that the artist tag is shown even when it's the same as the album artist tag, because other tracks in the album have different artist tags.

However, with my virtual tag, it only shows the artist tag when it's different from the album artist.

How can I replicate the default behaviour?

The Incredible Boom Boom

Code
$If(<Artist>=<Album Artist>,,<Artist>" ")<Bitrate>; <Bit Depth>; <Year (yyyy)>; <Play Count>

...is what you want, I think.

SonicRings

Code
$If(<Artist>=<Album Artist>,,<Artist>" ")<Bitrate>; <Bit Depth>; <Year (yyyy)>; <Play Count>

...is what you want, I think.
Oh no, I know how to add the other tags just fine. Re-read my question. Look where the arrows point.

Let me try rephrasing it: If an album contains any tracks where <artist>=/=<album artist>, I want ALL tracks to show <artist> beneath it, even if, for that specific track, <artist>=<album artist>. This is the default behaviour in Musicbee when it's displaying the regular <title> tag.

The Incredible Boom Boom

Oh no, I know how to add the other tags just fine. Re-read my question. Look where the arrows point.

Let me try rephrasing it: If an album contains any tracks where <artist>=/=<album artist>, I want ALL tracks to show <artist> beneath it, even if, for that specific track, <artist>=<album artist>. This is the default behaviour in Musicbee when it's displaying the regular <title> tag.

<Album Artist> = A
<Album> = A
<Artist> = A for all tracks

In the above case, you don't want <Artist> "A" shown underneath the translated title line, right?

<Album Artist> = null
<Album> = A
<Track#> = 1 <Artist> = A
<Track#> = 2 <Artist> = B
<Track#> = 3 <Artist> = C
<Track#> = 4 <Artist> = D
<Track#> = 5 <Artist> = E

In the above case, you want all the artists displayed underneath <TitleTranslate>, correct?

Do you have your various artists albums flagged as compilations? If not, navigate to the Tag Editor->Settings tab and check "iTunes compilation." Then use the below for your Virtual Tag.
Code
$If(<Compilation>=1,<Artist>"; ",)<Bitrate>; <Bit Depth>; <Year (yyyy)>; <Play Count>
Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 05:44:23 PM by The Incredible Boom Boom

SonicRings

<Album Artist> = A
<Album> = A
<Artist> = A for all tracks

In the above case, you don't want <Artist> "A" shown underneath the translated title line, right?

<Album Artist> = null
<Album> = A
<Track#> = 1 <Artist> = A
<Track#> = 2 <Artist> = B
<Track#> = 3 <Artist> = C
<Track#> = 4 <Artist> = D
<Track#> = 5 <Artist> = E

In the above case, you want all the artists displayed underneath <TitleTranslate>, correct?

Do you have your various artists albums flagged as compilations? If not, navigate to the Tag Editor->Settings tab and check "iTunes compilation." Then use the below for your Virtual Tag.
Code
$If(<Compilation>=1,<Artist>"; ",)<Bitrate>; <Bit Depth>; <Year (yyyy)>; <Play Count>

Correct, that's exactly how I want it to work. If it's a compilation, I want all artist names to show. The thing is, I don't want to change the Album Artist tag to say Various Artists, because that would be incorrect for some albums. Usually it's just a regular album but one of the tracks is done by another artist with more involvement than would warrant a simple (feat.) in the title tag.

Your formula just gives me an error.

I tried adapting it to my formula as such:

$If(<Compilation>=1,<Artist>", "<Bitrate>,<Bitrate>)

And it still gives me an error.

The Incredible Boom Boom

Correct, that's exactly how I want it to work. If it's a compilation, I want all artist names to show. The thing is, I don't want to change the Album Artist tag to say Various Artists, because that would be incorrect for some albums. Usually it's just a regular album but one of the tracks is done by another artist with more involvement than would warrant a simple (feat.) in the title tag.

Looks like <Compilation> isn't the right (ID3v2 or Vorbis Comment)* tag. Though, if you have "iTunes Compilation" checked, you can still use <Album Artist>="Various Artists" even if "Various Artists" doesn't appear in the actual tag itself. So try changing, <Compilation>=1 to <Album Artists>="Various Artists"

*I use COMPILATION in MP3TAG and it correctly flags the MusicBee "iTunes Compilation" value, but that doesn't always mean the tag name is the same in MusicBee.

SonicRings

Looks like <Compilation> isn't the right (ID3v2 or Vorbis Comment)* tag. Though, if you have "iTunes Compilation" checked, you can still use <Album Artist>="Various Artists" even if "Various Artists" doesn't appear in the actual tag itself. So try changing, <Compilation>=1 to <Album Artists>="Various Artists"

*I use COMPILATION in MP3TAG and it correctly flags the MusicBee "iTunes Compilation" value, but that doesn't always mean the tag name is the same in MusicBee.

That still gives me an error, but I changed <Album Artists> to <AlbumArtist> and although it doesn't error, it doesn't produce the desired result. I don't want to have to manually go in and set each album with multiple artists to be a compilation. I'm looking to emulate MusicBee's default behaviour with the baked in Title tag. There's got to be a way to do this since it is a thing MusicBee is actually able to do by default.