Author Topic: How do I change the name of the artist in the left sidebar? Picture included  (Read 1504 times)

GermEater

Notice it says "Anthony Dent" when it should be "Jay-Z".

The only place I could find the name Anthony Dent is:

(Right click on songs) Edit > Sorting > Edit Custom Sort Values

I've tried to delete all the names that appear here but nothing changes and they just end up coming back after I save.

Under "Tags", both "Artist" and "Album Artist" are set to Jay-Z, so why do I see "Anthony Dent", when I'm clearly sorting by Artist on the left sidebar?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Artist includes all artists tagged in a file, including guest artists, performers, remixers, etc. I suggest opening the file in the Tag Inspector to see where Anthony Dent shows up.

The Custom Sorting Values only affect sorting. If a person is tagged in the file, removing the sort value doesn't remove the tag.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

GermEater

Okay, so it looks like all the names listed under:

Edit > Sorting > Edit Custom Sort Values

also appear in the left panel, as if they're artists. So I have about 60 names in the artist panel that link to two songs on Jay-Z's "In My Lifetime, Vol. 1". And this is just for Jay-Z. It looks like it's doing this to many other songs/artists in my library.

I've also tried checking "enable custom sorting - use 'sort as' values when sorting" then changing the "sort as" columns under "Edit Custom Sort Values" to "Jay-Z".

All this does is list all those artists under Jay-Z's name in the left panel, still linking to those 2 songs. So all these artists here and more, link to those 2 Jay-Z songs.

GermEater

Artist includes all artists tagged in a file, including guest artists, performers, remixers, etc. I suggest opening the file in the Tag Inspector to see where Anthony Dent shows up.

The Custom Sorting Values only affect sorting. If a person is tagged in the file, removing the sort value doesn't remove the tag.

Hi. Thanks. I'll try that and report back.

GermEater

Hey, so I did that and I see Anthony Dent, along with many others, under a tag called "Involved People List". How would I go about removing this tag or making it so that it doesn't show up under "Artist" in the left panel?

I tried to delete the names in the tag, and delete the tag itself, from within the Tag Inspector, and after saving, the tag just reappears and nothing changes.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Oh, great, that's what I was about to suggest. Artists is working as expected, showing you all tracks that Anthony Dent is tagged in. You will also find those tracks under Jay-Z and anyone else tagged in the files.

Be sure you check all the tag formats when you use the tag inspector. You can remove tags by selecting them and using the [-] button, but they might be reimported if there's more than one format.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

GermEater

Yea, I was using the "-" button but they'd still come back after saving. I checked all the tag formats too. ID3V2 was the only one with all those other names. ID3V1 just had Jay-Z as the artist, and then other stats like album name, genre, year, track # and the song titles.

Or do you mean just having another format at all will make the tags reappear?

Either way, I'm satisfied now that I'm sorting by Album Artist, so it's all good. Thanks for your help.

GermEater

Another solution for anyone reading this.

This button allows you to delete multiple artists:

The Incredible Boom Boom

Word of advice... deleting artist and album information from tags is not the best idea, as later down the road, you might find you actually would like to display that stuff. You'll have to go back and find ways to recover it, if you've deleted it all.

At the least, deleting things like that from multiple albums is a large time investment.

I would suggest you spend time figuring out how to display what you want to display, rather than deleting stuff you may want back in the future.

"I'll never use or need this tag..." Famous last words. I'm speaking from experience.

frankz

Displaying Artists:Artist will remove engineers and producers (like Anthony Dent) and arrangers and the like from the Artist display.

Have a nice day.