Author Topic: Album split into Single Track Albums of the same name!  (Read 2199 times)

CapoFantasma97

I have no idea of what's going on here.

All the other albums of the same artist are alright. But Led Zeppelin I and II split into single track albums for no reason in Album & Tracks view.
In Album Covers view, the tracks are correctly grouped into the 2 albums.
I've tried to fix this by removing the tags on MP3tag, saving, then manually inputting the Artist, Album Artist, Album, Year and Track Number; nothing changed.
I've even tried to force rescan the library after; that didn't do anything either.

CapoFantasma97

Some Queen albums are also doing that now. They didn't in the past.

CapoFantasma97

Quite suspect that those are albums of the same year, uh? Well, apparently ordering by year does that.
Does the program get confused? It seems to be a bug.
Other music players don't do this.

And no, that's no user error. Grouping is already correct and untouched.

hiccup

I should have said 're-check' your sorting settings ;-)

You don't have 'Album' in your sorting rules.
I am guessing you would want that to keep your albums together.

CapoFantasma97

Even taking that into account, sorting by year doesn't work properly in the above case. Tracks should be grouped.
It works perfectly (albums grouped as albums) until an artist has 2 or more albums within the same year, at which point all tracks are split into single tracks.

I use that sorting because the grouping rule is already set just below as album, and the sorting rule allowed for singles released in different years to be grouped under a single album per artist that I called "Singles". Any other ordering configuration I tested would split singles and group them by year, despite being part of the same album.

It's not a recent issue, too https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=21467.msg126195#msg126195
Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:08:42 PM by CapoFantasma97

hiccup

Tracks should be grouped.

Why?

Also, do realise that you are using ALBUM and tracks view.
'Album' is an essential operative here.

The Incredible Boom Boom

Why?

Technically, "and" is the essential operative in this case. The original poster seems to be ignoring the two other important words after "Album" with regard to this view.

We will chalk it up to a language difference.

I use that sorting because the grouping rule is already set just below as album, and the sorting rule allowed for singles released in different years to be grouped under a single album per artist that I called "Singles". Any other ordering configuration I tested would split singles and group them by year, despite being part of the same album.

And now you have come across an edge case where your previous rules apply consistently in the manner you have set them up, but not in the manner you wish.

You will have to change your rules.

I suggest volume normalizing all your music by album (if haven't already) and using the newly created <REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN> (or whatever it is) in your Grouping settings to delimit albums and singles.

CapoFantasma97

Why?

Because grouping rules already include Album Artist and Album?

Anyway, I "solved" this by following the instructions of one of the topics I posted before: using Year as album year and Secondary tag "Original Year" as track year (so that singles group up together under the same Album I had called Singles), and experimenting and tweaking the sorting rules in a way that albums of the same year don't bug out into many different singles like in the screenshots.

Underlining this again: ordering and grouping are 2 different settings and sections in Musicbee settings, and there's no logical reason for which albums of the same year, under the original ordering conditions, should split up into singled out tracks, while all the other view show them in proper order and grouping. It's also ridicolous that I had to make workarounds for this and the singles: many artists have compilation albums whose tracks have different years, but it's still the same album! Make a search in the forums and you'll find a fair share of support requests with similar situations.

hiccup

Album grouping functions exactly as it should.
Sorting in Album and Tracks view sorts by tracks and groups by Album Artist.

But as you have now found out, you can tweak things to your own preference.
That's one of the amazing aspects of MusicBee.

If you still find things working 'ridiculous' you can create a wishlist topic explaining what improvements you are proposing exactly.
Or support one of the 'fair share' of existing wishes regarding this that you claim exist.
Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 03:03:47 PM by hiccup