Author Topic: Trojan In new (MusicBee_Setup_3_4_7691.zip) download?  (Read 5145 times)

Appie Thrasher

Hi,

If I download the new version (MusicBee_Setup_3_4_7691.zip) in MC latest topic I get a warning about a trojan..

Code
Trojan:Script/Conteban.A!ml
Detected by Microsoft Defender Antivirus

Aliases: No associated aliases
Summary

Windows Defender Antivirus detects and removes this threat.

This threat can perform a number of actions of a malicious hacker's choice on your PC.

Find out ways that malware can get on your PC.

What to do now

Use the following free Microsoft software to detect and remove this threat:

Windows Defender  for Windows 10 and Windows 8.1, or Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7 and Windows Vista
    Microsoft Safety Scanner

Anyone else with this problem?

Thanks,

Appie

hiccup

If I download the new version (MusicBee_Setup_3_4_7691.zip) in MC latest topic I get a warning about a trojan..
Anyone else with this problem?

So Google search is blocked in your country?
That's bad.
Maybe you could try entering 'virus' in the search field that you see at the top right of the forum page, and then click the search icon next to it?

Please report back if that presents any difficulties?

leetaylor15202

Yes, Windows Defender is blocking the downloads from both Dropbox and Mediafire for me.

phred

• Global Moderator
Yes, Windows Defender is blocking the downloads from both Dropbox and Mediafire for me.
You can unblock them.
Rest assured that there is no virus/trojan in MB if you download it from the official MB website.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

leetaylor15202

Yes, but it's a little concerning given that I've never had any such issues before and at least two users have the same issue.

frankz

It's defender being stupid.  Download the zip and upload it to virustotal.com before you run it and you'll see it's fine.

Honestly, the developer posted the link and you've installed his work before. Do you think he suddenly turned rogue and is trying to trojan your machine?

sveakul

I don't understand why the OP's Windows Defender is flagging this.  I am running Windows 10, v2004, with the latest Windows Defender and its latest auto-updates, and I can download the file (using Firefox 85) from both the identical links just FINE, no warnings, no viruses, etc. etc.  I mean, I just DID it.  Makes me wonder if he/she just has a "knackered" system.

frankz

My windows defender flagged the mediafire download too.  Same signature detection.  Only difference is my threat was listed as Low rather than Severe.

Steven

• Administrator
whenever i include any bass dll files in the incremental release package (basswaspi.dll) it seems to trigger virus alerts

billouparis

Same issue here. Weird that Windows does not always declare the same detected virus from one moment to another based on the same source file...

sveakul

whenever i include any bass dll files in the incremental release package (basswaspi.dll) it seems to trigger virus alerts

It has NEVER done so here, so that's what makes this perplexing.  My Windows Defender IS working, set to real-time scans, creates logs, updates itself, etc. etc.  "Cloud-delivered protection" is turned off but I normally receive 2 definition updates a day via Windows Update.  It's set to ignore the portable MusicBee directory but I always download MB updates and BASS updates (from un4seen) into the Windows "Downloads" folder first, and have yet to see any reaction from Defender.  Note I'm not calling foul on the folks who DO see alerts, just wondering why the "some do some don't" state with an identical antivirus--timing issue on receiving Defender updates perhaps?  It's a shame to have it affect pushing out files like the improved basswasapi.dll, but I understand why it becomes not worth the aggro after a while.
Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 07:31:38 PM by sveakul

phred

• Global Moderator
just wondering why the "some do some don't" state with an identical antivirus--timing issue on receiving Defender updates perhaps?
It could be different Defender definition file. Or different Windows version. Or that there's a full moon. Or that the user is left-handed. Windows works in mysterious ways and I've long ago stopped wasting time trying to figure out why.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

leetaylor15202

It is the basswasapi.DLL file that's getting flagged...

I trust that the content is fine, just again, I've never had WD flag anything from this site before.

phred

• Global Moderator
I trust that the content is fine, just again, I've never had WD flag anything from this site before.
The file is fine.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

The Incredible Boom Boom

Maybe Steven's explanation of what is happening can be added to the message when posting a new topic, so this isn't brought up every other week?

For the record, I've also never had Windows complain about any full MusicBee download I've initiated.