Author Topic: No track info when inserting or ripping CD's  (Read 6948 times)

BillH

I am having a problem very similar to the one I had in this thread, https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=29771.0.

When I insert a CD MusicBee fires up and starts playing the disc just fine.  There are no error messages displayed.

However, the track listing shows only Track 01, Track 02, etc. and no Album, Year or Artist is given for each track.  However, the Time and Bitrate are given for each track.   The same CD in iTunes shows all the information just fine.

If I try to rip the CD the same problem happens in the rip dialog.

I have the same PC that I had in that thread.  It is a fast DELL XPS8930 desktop with 64 GB of ram.  My internet connection is consistently over 590 Mbps.

I've not had any problems since the last issue was resolved until about 3 weeks ago.  I've tried everything.  It started on MB 3.4.7586.  I've tried 3.4.7687 and the same problem exists.  I've tried going back to 3.3.7491 and the problem exists. 

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If the track info isn't loading, have you confirmed that it's available? That would mean being in the MusicBrainz database. MusicBee had to stop using Gracenote, which is probably what iTunes uses, due to their restrictions
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

BillH

Thanks for the reply. How do I tell if it is in that database?  The CD's I'm having problems with today are albums by The Doobie Brothers, John Coltrane, and Art Pepper.

Bill
Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 12:24:19 AM by BillH

Steven

• Administrator
For the next v3.4 update I am going to add back in free db as a data source pointing to a different host. But otherwise there isnt anything more that can be done.
As psychoadept says, gracenote is no longer available to musicbee and other players such as iTunes will have their own agreements and sources for data that MB doesnt have

BillH

Steven, thanks for the reply.

Seems hard to believe that the album Toulouse Street by The Doobie Brothers isn't in MusicBrainz.  Not sure on the John Coltrane and Art Pepper albums.  

Are you saying you are going to replace MusicBrainz with FreeDB?  I thought FreeDB was shut down.  This is what Wikipedia says "The Freedb gateway was shut down on March 18, 2019".

Bill
Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:09:04 AM by BillH

sveakul

Yes Freedb was shut down, but some 3rd parties were able to migrate their existing database up to the shutdown point to their own servers--dbpoweramp is one of them.

Toulouse Street is definitely in MusicBrainz, just checked using MusicBrainz-Picard v2.5.2.  You could have had a disc-read issue.
Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:26:48 AM by sveakul

BillH

Yes Freedb was shut down, but some 3rd parties were able to migrate their existing database up to the shutdown point to their own servers--dbpoweramp is one of them.

Do you know if these other databases are being updated or are they just frozen at the time of the copy from MusicBrainz.

Toulouse Street is definitely in MusicBrainz, just checked using MusicBrainz-Picard v2.5.2.  You could have had a disc-read issue.

I don't think so.  iTunes was able to read the disc just fine at the same time and get the track names.  I tried 3 other CDs as well.  They also worked fine in iTunes, but not MusicBee.  I can't imagine having that many disc read issues... especially since they played just fine.

Would you also check these that didn't work in MusicBee, but did work in iTunes.

The Best Of Art Pepper
by Pepper, Art

Coltrane '58 The Prestige Recordings
by Coltrane, John

The Very Best Of The Doobie Brothers
by The Doobie Brothers

Thanks!
Bill

phred

• Global Moderator
Are you saying you are going to replace MusicBrainz with FreeDB?  I thought FreeDB was shut down.

I am going to add back in free db as a data source pointing to a different host
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

BillH

I am going to add back in free db as a data source pointing to a different host

I saw that, but I wasn't sure what he meant.   :-[

Bill

phred

• Global Moderator
https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/c7296dbe-28d5-31b4-b3fd-7debba4afee6
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

BillH

Thanks for that link.  I checked and the other three CDs were also in MusicBrainz.  So the problem could not have been that they were not in MusicBrainz.  Looks like a problem in MB or in my system.  Since iTunes doesn't have any problem it seems like my CD drive and system are working fine.  Not sure what the problem could be. Could it be something in MB?  Could it be that MusicBrainz is not returning the information correctly for MB to display?

Bill
Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 03:57:48 AM by BillH

Steven

• Administrator
This has the freedb support added back in (via gnudb.org)
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
It could be that Musicbee (Mb) is still using the old FreeDB API to access the MusicBrainz (MB) data.
MB posted that their FreeDB gateway was at end-of-life as at March 18, 2019 and the proper MB endpoint should be used ASAP.

This is what Wikipedia says "The Freedb gateway was shut down on March 18, 2019".
If you read further in that article, you will also read that
gnudb.org has continued to provide the Freedb.org database after Freedb.org was shutdown

They have also now resolved the issues they had where the database could not be updated.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

BillH

This has the freedb support added back in (via gnudb.org)
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

Steven,

That fixed it for all four CDs I mentioned.  All now show the correct track names and other info.

Thanks so much for the quick fix!  Great support as always.

Bill

BillH

If you read further in that article, you will also read that
They have also now resolved the issues they had where the database could not be updated.

Thanks for the info.  I didn't read far enough.   :-[

Bill