Author Topic: Adding link in tags or track information for specific songs  (Read 2359 times)

wasp

I'm looking to add a clickable link/hyperlink relating to only specific songs.

This can be anything from where the song was downloaded, a link that relates to the specific information about the song i.e. how it was produced etc.

I can put a link i.e. in the comments tag (and make the comments tag visible in the Track Information Panel). But this way it cannot be clickable,  looks messy, and takes a lot of space.

Would the above be possible in any way by using one of the tags or with any other method/workaround?

hiccup

You could add Track information (2) to your layout and have it displaying the comment tag.
(or any other tag that you would like to use for this)

And then in the standard information panel you could add something like:
$IsNull(<Comment>,,"notes present")
That will alert you when a song has notes added.

Or if you are not into lyrics you could use the lyrics panel for it.
Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:07:10 PM by hiccup

wasp

Thank you for the reply.

I would like to add hyperlinks not plain text. Perhaps tags are not the best way to do it.

Is it feasible?

hiccup

Where do you want to see these hyperlinks exactly?
And where should they direct to?

wasp

In the 'Track Information' panel.  Basically a way to put hyperlinks for each song independently, if needed.

The hyperlink can be for any website i.e. a link on youtube or a link of an interview.

hiccup

I see. The link is displayed, but it is not recognized as a hyperlink, so it's not clickable.
You could post a wish for that.

Another option would be to use Preferences > Internet > Custom weblinks
But then if your weblink contains slashes, they get converted to some code which breaks the functionality of the link.
There might be a solution for that, but it will take some forum searching to find that out.
Or you could use something like:
http://www.google.com/search?q= <comment>
That won't lead to the weblink directly, but it will usually be the top result.

wasp

That's actually a good workaround!

So I've used your initial suggestion
Code
to be informed when there's any notes in the tag field.

And I have dedicated one of the custom web links (although all were used up) with your suggestion to query google.

Both combined offer a good workaround. Thank you.

One last question, would it be possible to add some regex to the
Code
to the  have the color of the Comment change only when there is any text in the Comment field?

hiccup

One last question, would it be possible to add some regex to the
Code
to the  have the color of the Comment change only when there is any text in the Comment field?

Do you mean that you would like the virtual tag to display in a different colour depending on if the comment tag contains normal text versus a weblink?

wasp

Yes, but for the virtual tag to turn on a different color, when there is a any text (irrespective of whether its a weblink or plain text).

I will be basically using one of the custom tags, tag "custom5" for the extra weblinks. So if there's any text in the tag field "custom5", the "Notes Present" is highlighted with a color.

hiccup

Yes, but for the virtual tag to turn on a different color, when there is a any text (irrespective of whether its a weblink or plain text).

So you mean a colour different from other tags?
Not it changing colours depending on it's content?
Then you could simply use something like:
{color: 200,0,0}$IsNull(<Comment>,,<Comment>)

If <comment> is empty it won't show at all, if <comment> has a value it will display. (in red in this case)

edit:
The values are r,g,b (red green blue) you can use any value from 0 to 255.
255,255,255 is white
You can also set font type, font size, contrast. A forum search should show some examples.
Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 06:51:10 PM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
You could add Track information (2) to your layout and have it displaying the comment tag.
And then in the standard information panel you could add something like:
That will alert you when a song has notes added.
Great tip. I just freed up a little more space in my layout. Adding the color option was also helpful in making the line stand out.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

phred

• Global Moderator
Did I just kill two birds with one stone?
Errr ... I'm not quite sure what you mean.

What you suggested I hadn't even considered doing until I saw the post and a light bulb light up over my head. My tabs were stacked and that was presenting a vertical space issue. Unstacking them and adding the reference to see the other details panel make it a keeper.

I doesn't work as well when in Album View. Or it doesn't work as well for me. Often with a live album I have multiple comments such as "First set" or "Encore" and when one album has multiple comments for multiple disks or tracks, I understand why it doesn't work. It's still a great trick.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Errr ... I'm not quite sure what you mean.
I was trying to help wasp bird, but accidentally phred bird was also helped.