Author Topic: Can't sync  (Read 3987 times)

hhharkness

Trying to sync my android phone is suddenly giving me repeated "value cannot be determined" errors, I tried using the wifi sync app as suggested in a few threads on here and it gives me a "non-recoverable error" message instead. Yes I've tried both multiple times, restarted my phone, restarted musicbee etc

hhharkness

I've been able to get it working for a few songs (sometimes 7, sometimes 34) but once it gives an error for one song it'll do it for all following songs as well. The exact error is ""Copy Failed - The requested value cannot be determined. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x802A0006)"

hhharkness

So after a system update, it copies edited files just fine but any new files give "Copy Failed - Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component"

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What version of Android are you on?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hhharkness

Android 11,  version 18.0610.2101.127

pinkgrae

After many moons of enjoying the wonderful combination of MusicBee and Poweramp, I've also suddenly started experiencing syncing issues, between MusicBee  (currently on version 3.4.7708) on Windows 10 to an external micro SD card on Android (Mi A3 - I'll call it 'the device'). As with @hhharkness, the problems started after updating from Android 10 to Android 11. I've played around  with the MB settings a bit and it's all pretty weird:

Playlists:

Syncing playlists either via usb or wifi doesn't work. Specifically, if I enable "synchronise playlists" (either 'all playlists' or 'selected playlists only') the syncing process starts but doesn't go anywhere, and after a couple of minutes just times out and aborts the syncing process - typical sample entry from the error log using wifi sync:

8/02/2021 19:07:32 - Add playlist "d:\MusicBee\Playlists\Basement.xautopf" Unable to read data from the transport connection: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

Deleting tracks:

Syncing either via usb or wifi removes exactly 1 single track from the device even if multiple tracks were previously deleted from the MB library. To explain this: if I enable "delete files that are not on the auto-sync list from the device" in MB, the syncing process starts but after a couple of minutes just times out then stops. The MB error log (sample below) states that the device failed to respond. However, when I then check manually, the file listed in the error log (i.e. in the below case Boots of Spanish Leather) has in fact been deleted from the device, though the syncing process did not delete any other files. And if I then start a new sync, the exact same thing will happen with the next file to be removed. Typical entry in the error log:

8/02/2021 19:12:47 - Delete "Mi A3\android\Music\Bob Dylan (Live)\1963-10-26 New York City NY, Carnegie Hall\1-05 - Boots Of Spanish Leather.mp3" Unable to read data from the transport connection: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

Adding tracks:

Adding new tracks, and editing existing tracks, from the MB library to the device works just fine, so long as I make sure the uncheck both the "delete files that are not on the auto-sync list from the device" and the "synchronise playlists" options from MB.

Play stats:

Syncing either via usb or wifi does update play count, date last played and other play stats from the device to the MB library.

So not sure what's going on here. At first I thought it was a permissions thing with Android 11, but then the sync process wouldn't be able to add new files or delete even a single file. So I'm assuming something has changed in the way Android 11 reports information in relation to deleting files back to Windows 10 / MB, but the change has not affected other information it reports back? Anyway, my current workaround is to leave both of the above options unchecked, which is less than ideal as I don't have any of my playlists, and have to manually delete tracks from the device.

Any help / ideas appreciated.
Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 12:57:34 PM by pinkgrae

hhharkness

still no solution to this. also, musicbee opens a new tab every time i eject my phone.

pinkgrae

Hm - I found a discussion on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/androiddev/comments/jn5azi/android_11_dodges_a_bullet_apps_creating_a_folder/) which suggests that a new way of dealing with permissions in Android 11 may be the culprit:

* If you use the Music folder, you can only create "audio" files there (.wav, .ogg, .mp3 and perhaps others). ...
* You can create folders within the Music folder - example: Music/folder1
* Two apps can use the same folder i.e. app1 creates folder1 and app2 also creates folder1. One app can delete the folder created by another app (if folder is empty). Files created by app1 can be read by app2 (if it uses the READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission), but cannot be written or deleted by app2. This means if you delete folder1 from app1, it will delete all the app1-created files in folder1, but will leave the files created by app2 there untouched (and so folder1 will not be deleted). But if Music/folder1 was created by app1, it can be deleted by app2 (if the folder1 is empty or only contains files created by app2).

So if you think of the Android music player as app1 and MusicBee as app2, then MusicBee can write new files but not delete anything that Android considers to be 'owned' by the music player - which seems to be what I'm experiencing. Not sure how to test this theory - anyone?
Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 10:45:57 AM by pinkgrae

hhharkness

turns out the problem was actually my sd card 😖 so now i'm broker but at least my phone will sync