Author Topic: Android 11 sync issue: Copy failed, can't access path on disk (SOLVED)  (Read 2762 times)

PraxHonda

UPDATE: after some trial and error, the problem seemed to fix itself by doing the following:

1. Disconnecting the device from the PC
2. Deleting the virtual device profile for the Android phone
3. Reconnecting the device to the PC
4. Restarting MusicBee
5. Going to Devices. The profile somehow "fixed" itself, with all settings except Storage Path, Music Files naming rules and auto-conversion being reset (or perhaps auto-detected). The Storage Path is now correct, and I updated the other rules, now the files sync as expected with no errors, which suggests the virtual device profile was somehow corrupted.

I'm leaving the post up in case this helps someone else in the future (mods, feel free to delete if you think it's not useful).

----------------------- Original post is below -----------------------

I recently got a Pixel 4a (5g) which comes preloaded with Android 11.

With both my previous device (Pixel XL) and this one, I sync to MusicBee using a USB-C cable, and selecting the "File transfer" USB setting. MusicBee runs as administrator so that my keyboard's multimedia keys can control the application when it is not in focus. I am running the latest version of MusicBee (3.3.7491).

I was able to set up a virtual device for the 4a 5g successfully and the first time everything synced together just fine with no errors. Since I have a lot of FLAC files, I have an auto-conversion rule so that it will always convert these to 320kbps MP3 files during sync. Nothing automatically syncs- I right-click on files that I want to sync and I choose "Send to > Device Pixel 4a 5g" and the statusbar indicates the progress of the sync.

However, now I'm seeing a few issues:

1. Although the device and the files in the device internal storage are visible in both Windows Explorer AND MusicBee (in MB I see the phone under "Devices" and can navigate through the entire tree with no problems, if I attempt to sync any files I get this error: "Copy failed - Attempted to access a path that is not on the disk". This happens even if I restart the device, restart MusicBee, restart the PC, use a different cable, etc.

This may be a clue- the music I'm trying to sync doesn't show up under "Pixel 4a (5) > Music", but rather I can only view these files if I go to "Pixel 4a (5g) > Internal shared storage > Music > (Music folders, by artist)".

2. My virtual devices settings have look like this: Settings > Media Storage > Storage Path (Pixel 4a (5g)\", and my music files are set up like "Music/<Album Artist>/<Album>/<Artist> - <Title>". I think this may be a clue as well: notice that the end of the "Storage path" string has a backslash, but the "Music Files" path is set up with a forward slash. I noticed this difference and thought "well, Windows normally has forward slashes in their paths, so let me replace these so they are all forward slashes. When I do that and then hit Save, I go view the Settings again and MusicBee has now added both a backslash AND forward slash at the end of the Storage Path, and the forward slash I added between Music and Album Artist has been replaced with a backslash again.

So there doesn't seem to be a way for me to fix the path correctly- I think this may be what is ultimately causing the path to not be found, but that's just a guess.

3. If I try to setup a new virtual device to recreate the profile I already had (in case the profile is the problem), every folder on my PC or external hard drives are selectable but any folder at the Android phone root or below is NOT selectable. I tried to create a new folder inside the phone's internal storage (called Music2, since Music already exists and it has the music I previously synced inside of it) and the folder does create fine, but I can't select it because again, it is a folder that lives on the Android device. The "OK" button that would allow me to select any folder on the device is greyed out and unclickable.

4. UPDATE: I deleted the old virtual device profile so I could create a new one. The problem from #3 above still applied (at first), because even though I can see the Android phone in my file system, MusicBee doesn't let me select it. Then I restarted MusicBee to then try to add the device again, but (miraculously) my profile is somehow still there but the file path settings have all been updated so now it says "Pixel 4a (5g)/Internal storage". The music naming rule was reset but I reconfigured it to how it was before, and had to re-add my auto-conversion rules, but at least now it works.
Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 04:13:23 AM by PraxHonda