Author Topic: Void (series)  (Read 34625 times)

hiccup

A series of coloured skins with a minimal style player panel.

download Void Black

download Void Blue

download Void Red

download Void Green
Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 10:26:56 AM by hiccup

hiccup

updated

Some minor alignment improvements on the player panel.

hiccup

Updated
Fixed an oversight and made a small improvement on the Music Explorer panel.

hiccup

Updated

fixed an oversight with toolbar buttons

Johan_A_M

Really like this skin @Hiccup, using it since you released it!
Two minor points. I'd like to change the color of the text down in the status bar, as I find it a bit too difficult to read. Also, I'd like to experiment with the red which I also find a bit too difficult to read against the gray (I remote-login to the Musicbee computer, so the resolution gets a bitt distorted). Is there anyway of doing that?
Once again, thanks for a great theme!

hiccup

That's nice to hear.
The reds are indeed a bit difficult here. Sometimes I think they are too bright, and other times that they are too dark.

You can change most of the colours (except the ones in the player panel and icons) of a bitmap (xmlc) skin by creating a piggy-back skin for it:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=29815.0

Johan_A_M

Thanks Hiccup, I'll experiment a bit and get back to you if I find something nice. Thanks again for a nice skin!

hiccup

Also consider the impact that a computer display and it's settings have.
Things like adjusting the colour balance or gamma can make a big difference, and as an f.lux user, the reds really pop-out later in the evening.

Johan_A_M

Ok, so even with Clear Type off, a color picker like the Instant Color Picker was not able to pick the exact color of the font in the status bar. mostl I get 110,110,x, but when searching in Sample Skin, that only points me to
Code
<element id="Panel.StatusBar.Default" bg="226,227,228" fg="110,110,111" bdr="212,213,214" />
 <element id="Panel.StatusBarControl.Default" fg="110,110,112" />
and when changing these fg (foreground I guess), it doesn't seem to be the text. You don't happen to remember if thereäs any other way/element adjusting fontcolor? Maybe the font color in the status bar is the same as the font color somewhere else?

hiccup

Ok, so even with Clear Type off, a color picker like the Instant Color Picker was not able to pick the exact color of the font in the status bar. mostl I get 110,110,x, but when searching in Sample Skin, that only points me to…
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are doing, but the idea is that you pick the colour of the element using the Sample Skin.
If we are talking about the same statusbar text (player panel positioned at the bottom, the statusbar right above it) you should get 18,151,133
That matches "Panel.StatusBarInPanel.Default" in the Sample Skin xml.
So then you add that element to your piggy-back skin and change the colours to your liking.

PS, colour-picking pro tip: you can get the right colour picked with leaving cleartype on, if you for example pick the middle part of an horizontal part of e.g. the number 4.

Johan_A_M

Ok, so even with Clear Type off, a color picker like the Instant Color Picker was not able to pick the exact color of the font in the status bar. mostl I get 110,110,x, but when searching in Sample Skin, that only points me to…
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are doing, but the idea is that you pick the colour of the element using the Sample Skin.
If we are talking about the same statusbar text (player panel positioned at the bottom, the statusbar right above it) you should get 18,151,133
That matches "Panel.StatusBarInPanel.Default" in the Sample Skin xml.
So then you add that element to your piggy-back skin and change the colours to your liking.

PS, colour-picking pro tip: you can get the right colour picked with leaving cleartype on, if you for example pick the middle part of an horizontal part of e.g. the number 4.
Well that was certainly a pro tip!

I must be doing something wrong. Using youir method, I was able to exchange the red for a rather pleasant blue that works both with the gray and on my monitor. WIll change the rest of the reds later. However, the status bar text (the one you mentioned) does not change. Using Panel.StatusBarInPanel.Default, I've tried to switch all variables (bg, bg2, fg, bdr) to distinct colours, but it's still gray as you can see. Pretty certain the error is on my side, and wouldn't be surprised if it's a simple one...
https://imgur.com/a/qRr9JLP

Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 04:38:18 AM by Johan_A_M

hiccup

I don't know why it doesn't work for you, this works for me:

Code
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root dependsOn="Void dark.xmlc">
 <element id="Content[TrackDetail].Body.Highlight" bg="31,78,121"  bdr="81,140,194" fg="237,249,254" />
 <element id="Panel.StatusBarInPanel.Default" bg="48,48,48" bg2="48,48,48" fg="50,250,50" bdr="48,48,48" />
</root>

Johan_A_M

I don't know why it doesn't work for you, this works for me:

Code
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root dependsOn="Void dark.xmlc">
 <element id="Content[TrackDetail].Body.Highlight" bg="31,78,121"  bdr="81,140,194" fg="237,249,254" />
 <element id="Panel.StatusBarInPanel.Default" bg="48,48,48" bg2="48,48,48" fg="50,250,50" bdr="48,48,48" />
</root>

Really strange, I created a new .xml with only this code, but it still doesn't work on the status bar. However, thanks for trying out to help!

hiccup

Strange indeed.
The only thing I can think of at the moment is that you have a different panel configuration than I.
And/or something went wrong in the colour-picking Sample skin process.
Are you using the same MB installation for using Sample Skin and for Void 'blue'?
I.e. not using two different portable installs with perhaps different layouts, but you are switching between these skins in the same MB setup?

Steven

• Administrator
there are 2 relevant elements depending on the location of the status bar with respect to the player controls panel
Panel.StatusBarBelowPlayer.Default
Panel.StatusBarInPanel.Default