Author Topic: Any possible way to run multiple instances on same machine?  (Read 1317 times)

MayorQwert

Hello, I have the issue that I have recently began using MusicBee to run an online music stream but am also wanting to have a separate instance of musicbee for personal use. I'm not sure if this is possible but here's the details:

The dedicated music stream instance can't be used for normal playback during streams, I have global hotkeys disabled and am carefully capturing elements from the player so I cannot mess with the format or playback ordering.

As such, I was wondering if I could have a second instance, perhaps a portable install, running with its own independent settings and maybe even library location. It would be nice if it were possible to have the libraries be the same but settings different but I don't mind if I have different library files and just have to sync between the two from time to time as well.

I hope there's a way to do this, perhaps with a portable build? I originally was planning on sticking with my old favorite media player MM5 but I've slowly been converted to MusicBee and would love to be able to use it for my own personal music interests with a fully unlocked layout/settings rather than having to keep myself limited to the confines of my current, very specialized, layout.

For reference, here's what the layout looks like now and what I end up converting it to so you can see why I'd like the ability to format things for myself in a separate instance:

So yeah, I really love that I can do this with MusicBee but it'd be great to be able to have a separate instance I can customize differently, if at all possible!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You can do this easily by installing one or both versions as portable. I have a regular and one portable installation and the two aren't even really aware of each other. I run them in parallel quite often.
Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 03:45:29 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

MayorQwert

That's good to hear, I read something from 2015 from one of the devs that said "they would never allow multiple instances to run on the same machine" so I was a bit worried.