Author Topic: [1.3] Using "split" in the artist splitter doesn't split the artists anymore  (Read 3391 times)

Fivda

Clicking on "Split" does not seperate all artists with linebreak when there's a comma anymore.

phred

• Global Moderator
Try using a semi-colon
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Fivda

Try using a semi-colon
I see, but i don't really see why standard commas shouldn't be able split artists anymore... I don't really see myself replacing multiple artist names with ;'s instead of commas, they're far from aesthetic, especially when the general artist/composer field is meant as a display title when you're using said splitter

Fivda

, is not supported for splitting
I mean, not anymore at least, because it used to be and I found it pretty useful. I imagine there's no way to let it behave that way?

phred

• Global Moderator
I mean, not anymore at least, because it used to be and I found it pretty useful. I imagine there's no way to let it behave that way?
I believe you are mistaken. I've been using MB for more than ten years and the semi-colon has always been the splitter. And, if Steven says the comma isn't supported for splitting, then it isn't. Steven is MB's developer.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator

phred

• Global Moderator
its a simple change to include it
Except now it is  :-)

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Fivda

I believe you are mistaken. I've been using MB for more than ten years and the semi-colon has always been the splitter. And, if Steven says the comma isn't supported for splitting, then it isn't. Steven is MB's developer.
You using MB for more than ten years doens't invalidate the way i've been doing things for months. Don't believe me if you don't want to but I promise you that it used to work and I've never modified my folders, preferences or anything to make the standard comma split things. It just worked. If it wasn't supposed to... 🤷‍♀️

its a simple change to include it
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files
Works, thanks!

frankz

...but there are artists with commas in their names.  I believe this is why it was not supported in the first place.

Blood, Sweat & Tears
Earth, Wind & Fire
Peter, Paul and Mary
etc.

Will the artist list now be
Blood
Earth
Sweat & Tears
Paul and Mary
Peter
Wind & Fire

Fivda

...but there are artists with commas in their names.  I believe this is why it was not supported in the first place (in any program).

Blood, Sweat & Tears
Earth, Wind & Fire
Peter, Paul and Mary
etc.

Will the artist list now be
Blood
Earth
Sweat & Tears
Paul and Mary
Peter
Wind & Fire
I understand why this was changed. But it's such a rare occurence, and especially within my interests, this literally never happens.
The split artist name feature is usually something I use when I have a long list of composers and wish to simply seperate them in the splitter. No reason for that to happen with group names with the way i do things
It's all solved anyway so no problem

frankz

I'm saying that if you have ; in your artist (or composer) name, they show up as separate artist in the artist list, and asking whether this will now be the case for artists with commas in their names.  This is why ; or \\ are traditionally used.

I think it's a bad change if so.

Fivda

The reason i use the artist splitter in the first place is just to have a display artist name (like, unit/group for example), and a list of the performers/artists line by line. Never would i use ";" as display artist seperator, it's unaesthetic and does things i don't necessarily want. I might as well just put a group name instead.
Most places online, whenever you'll find a list of grouped artists, they'll almost always be seperated with , rather than ;. That's really all there is to it, i think there's just some confusion

frankz

You're mistaking my comments as a request for an explanation about why you wanted this. 

My questions have to do with the effect this will have and whether it was a good idea.

Fivda

well i wouldn't see an issue anywhere aside from as you said, groups with commas?