Author Topic: Drag to folder structure.  (Read 1760 times)

mrbenn

Could there be a way that when multiple files are drag-and-dropped to a folder in Explorer or the Desktop etc, that it has some sort of folder structure rather than a big pile of files?

In my case I'd just want the original folder name but in the destination folder, but I guess there could be some configuration or a preset like the file reorganiser. 

hiccup

Could there be a way that when multiple files are drag-and-dropped to a folder in Explorer or the Desktop etc, that it has some sort of folder structure rather than a big pile of files?
In my case I'd just want the original folder name but in the destination folder, but I guess there could be some configuration or a preset like the file reorganiser.

"Some sort of folder structure"

The way your post is phrased to me sounds like some sort of not very clearly defined question, more suited for the questions board.
If it is a wish, it would probably be good to be specific about what new feature you are suggesting/wishing for exactly.
Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:43:43 PM by hiccup

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Seems like the request was for an option to either reproduce the original folder structure or follow an auto-organize template. What's not clear about that?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

What's not clear about that?
The OP says 'drag to the desktop'. It's not clear to me what folder structure he would like to see on the desktop.
And 'some sort of folder structure' is also not very specific.

frankz

I hold in my hand...the envelope that reveals what OP meant.

Mind reading is easy once you're psychic...

mrbenn

Its like Jazz. Its about the words you *don't* hear.

psychoadept is correct. eg: if I drag 10x 10-track albums out of MB into an explorer window, then I want 10 folders with 10 tracks in each, not 100 tracks in the destination.

hiccup

When you said "some sort of folder structure", do you mean simply the parent folder name of the files, or some more advanced structure?

mrbenn

For me just the parent folder name would be fine, but I'm sure others use their own folder structures so would end up with "Disc 1"  or something as the resulting file name. I'd guess that having some preset to define the folder name would be preferable.

(crude mockup of hypothetical settings panel)

✔ Place drag-and-dropped files in their own folder
        ✔ Use parent folder name
             ⬜ Rename duplicate folders
       ⬜Replicate full folder tree
              ⬜ Limit to __ levels up
       ⬜ Use custom folder:
          <album-artist> - <album>

frankz

Now I get it.  Maybe dragging the files to an explorer window should pop up the Copy/Move to organized folder dialog.

mrbenn

That would be a way, but I'd want it with no further interaction other than dragging.

The existing Send To >  Copy brings up the Windows standard box which puts all the files in one nominated folder, or I can use the file organiser but I have to set that up for each destination folder and to be honest I feel like I'm treading on eggshells editing the rules.

frankz

That would be a way, but I'd want it with no further interaction other than dragging.
Can't you already do what you want from the computer node?

I don't understand the functional difference between setting up a template as shown in your mockup and using the existing templating structure already in musicbee.

mrbenn

I don't have the computer node enabled usually, but I did look and don't think that will pan out.

The destination folder may be different each time, and created for whatever particular bunch of albums I am copying out.

I want to do further programmatical steps after this.

As it stands, I have to create a destination, set-up or modify a template, re-enter or create any needed rules from my text file since I can't copy between pre-sets afaik, commit, etc etc. Best case I keep that pre-set and tweak the destination folder each time but that's still a ton of steps.

Stack this up over the 15k albums I am trying to index and archive and it adds up.