Author Topic: Windows 10 sleep prevented during play  (Read 1323 times)

JamieScott

I want my machine(s) to sleep after a set time period. I have installed the latest version of MB (3.3.xxxx labeled update6) on both a desktop and a laptop (and I have also tried this with the previous version labeled update5, but only on my desktop). My windows systems are current. I know the desktop windows is not the same version as the laptop windows but each is as current as Microsoft will allow. I have MB set to shuffle play the library (which is small but that shouldn't matter). The behavior on both machines is the same. At my set time, the screen turns off, as it should, but, as long as MB is actually playing, the machines will not enter sleep, no matter how much time passes.

I see that this issue has been raised in the past and two solutions were offered. One was a windows 10 settings problem. As far as I know my windows settings are correct for what I want to happen. But I know that windows sometimes overrides the obvious user settings with hidden settings of its own, so I am not 100% confident about my settings. I did look at the power plan advanced settings to ensure everything was correct, but maybe I missed something?

The other was a problem with Bass.dll, but that was so long ago the fix is no longer relevant, and actually breaks MB.

I had the settings such that the screen would turn off after 1 minute (the smallest increment windows allows) and sleep would start after 1 hour. When that didn't work, I started testing by setting the screen to turn off after 1 minute and sleep to occur after 2 minutes. If I launch MB and play a bit, then pause MB but leave it open, everything works as expected. I know the computer enters sleep because my keyboard lights turn off and there's a slight delay and sound associated with waking that is not present when only the screen wakes.

The only workaround I can think of is to set up a play list with a limited number of tracks and not use shuffle play on the whole library. I am content to do this in the short run, but it is not really a satisfying solution. I am asking for help in case someone knows a specific windows or MB setting other than the obvious that I should investigate that might fix this, or has any other ideas for troubleshooting or solving this problem or any other ideas for a workaround.

Cheers,
Jamie