Author Topic: CD rip speed - anyone figure out why this varies so much?  (Read 1879 times)

greatfox

Did a lot of searching online, and no one seems to have any rhyme or reason why a CD is ripped at 20x plus or at 4x.  I can put in brand new CDs and they read at 4x, and then a 30 year old CD and it reads at 40x plus with my external drive.   This makes no sense.  Anyone really know the answer to this and if there is anything that can be done about it? Thanks

hiccup

Did a lot of searching online, and no one seems to have any rhyme or reason why a CD is ripped at 20x plus or at 4x.  I can put in brand new CDs and they read at 4x, and then a 30 year old CD and it reads at 40x plus with my external drive.   This makes no sense.  Anyone really know the answer to this and if there is anything that can be done about it? Thanks

It's an interesting question, and now that you brought it up I'm curious too.
But a google search on "why are some cd's ripped fast or slow" gives a large amount of various possible explanations.
I don't think you will get any better, or a more definitive answer on it here.

greatfox

It's an interesting question, and now that you brought it up I'm curious too.
But a google search on "why are some cd's ripped fast or slow" gives a large amount of various possible explanations.
I don't think you will get any better, or a more definitive answer on it here.

True, then, I will ask if anyone here knows if anything in Music Bee would slow down the process, if one selected "quick rip"?

hiccup

'secure rip' will slow the process down.
'check C2 errors' will slow it down a lot in most cases.

rmccoy

I experience painfully slow rip speeds as well.

Unfortunately, the suggestion above is not the cause as I only have Quick Rip selected with Rip speed set to Maximum. Secure Rip & Check C2 Errors are unchecked.  I am running an i7 processor with 32 gig of RAM so I have easily ruled out hardware issues.  Also, the discs I am ripping are spotless.

I'm beginning to thing that this issue is solely a Musicbee issue as I have used iTunes in the past using the same computer and the rip speeds are great.... but it's iTunes.

Has anyone tried unchecking "analyze volume and write replaygain tags" yet to see if that makes a difference?
Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 10:59:33 PM by rmccoy

hiccup

I experience painfully slow rip speeds as well.
A little bit bored with not much else to (wanting to) do I took a random CD of mine, and ripped it with:

dBpoweramp
EAC
MusicBee

I tried to match their settings.
But while it is considered to be the touchstone of rippers, I (re-learned) that EAC is quite terrible in it's user interface.
So I didn't quite understand how to fine tune it to my preferences.
I ended up just going for 'fast ripping' in some 'wizzard'.

The results:

dBpoweramp : 2:49
EAC fast mode 8:12
MusicBee 2:40

So, I have a clear winner.
Both in user-friendliness and in speed, MusicBee won.

I realise this doesn't mean much, since every system and every CD will be different, and I only tested this with one CD, but I think it shows that any user that has very particular demands on ripping CD's should try a couple of rippers, test them with a couple of CD's, and then stick with the ripper that he likes most.

Unless somebody can point out specific flaws that MusicBee might have where it concerns CD ripping, it will not be productive to post that ripper x ripped cd x faster than MusicBee.