Author Topic: File saving and tag editor enhancements  (Read 3601 times)

Steven

• Administrator
The functions that update tags, including the tag editor now have the following functionality:
- when the selected files are loaded and displayed in the dialog window, MB now checks for missing and read-only files
- if any are found an alert icon shows by the Proceed button
- if you click Proceed when there are missing files, an error message will show, listing all those file names and MB will not proceed any further
- if you click Proceed when there are read-only files, a prompt will show to allow MB to update the files. If you choose no, the function will not proceed any further
- when saving files, if any file save error occurs eg. file is locked by another application, a dialog box will show details of the file(s) not saved

For the tag editor only, currently MB compares the cached file modification date with the actual file modification time and shows an alert to rescan the file if MB's version is out of date. That doesnt work so well with files saved on (linux?) servers.
The latest version still compares the dates but when different now compares the file data with the cached data and only shows the alert if any fields are different in value. Those different values are displayed in the tag editor as field modifications but you still need to click save for MB's cached version to be updated.

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip
Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 10:42:07 AM by Steven

hiccup

Not sure if intentional, but after you have saved a file that was changed by an external application, the whole docked editor panel gets greyed out.

Steven

• Administrator

hiccup

This new functionality doesn't seem to function when a whole album is selected.

Steven

• Administrator
If you are referring specifically to the tag editor where the file is compared to the cached value that is correct - it only does the comparison when a single file is selected. I might enhance that

Steven

• Administrator
This new functionality doesn't seem to function when a whole album is selected.
I decided to change the approach for the tag editor. Now when inconsistencies are found, MB will still update the input fields to the latest values sourced from the music file and display an alert, the difference being that the affected fields are no longer highlighted as modified fields but with the improvement that it now works with up to 256 selected files being edited (the restriction is so the comparisons dont take too much time)

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip

hiccup

The highlighting of changed fields was nice, but you'll have good reasons to leave it out.

Albums are still not working as I would expect.
When I select an album that I have edited outside MB, the alert icon will flash (correctly).
Then I press 'save'.
I would expect everything is settled then.
But when I next click one of the tracks, the popup 'one or more values have been amended - …' displays.
Is that intentional?

Steven

• Administrator
i can't reproduce as you say but there is a bug which is fixed now, so could you try again

hiccup

i can't reproduce as you say but there is a bug which is fixed now, so could you try again
It makes no difference.

Steven

• Administrator
When I select an album that I have edited outside MB, the alert icon will flash (correctly).
Then I press 'save'.
But when I next click one of the tracks, the popup 'one or more values have been amended - …' displays.
you have the editor docked in the main panel?
The next track you click, is that one of the ones you just saved or another. I can't reproduce this in either case. Perhaps there is a step missing?

Steven

• Administrator
nevermind - i know now what you did and how to reproduce

Steven

• Administrator