Author Topic: Install and/or run problem  (Read 3831 times)

AndyBol

MusicBee is working OK on my Windows 10 laptop but I have problem installing/running MusicBee on my Windows 10 desktop.

I downloaded and ran installation file at getmusicbee.com/downloads (Installer edition).
The installer seems to run OK, but here is what happens when I run MusicBee:

There is a window asking for my preferred language. Next a window opens headed “Confirmation” with message “Unable to access the MusicBee library path: C:\Users\...\Music\MusicBee\”.
This is followed by an ErrorLog.dat text file. Typical content as follows:

30/12/2020 23:40:06 - 10.0.18363.0 - 3.3.7491.38139D - System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. [C:\Users\Andy\Music\MusicBee\]
   at #=zS7Y8WuQ_KE8x6CT5BEoM5Bg=.#=zL26XO$zXm0_H.#=z0YaEnzk=.#=z$YokcBc=(#=zgDb_8P4OGP5Fy_1nP0xx14k= #=zGUEa4LI=, Boolean #=zM3eqlDFD_$dJ)
   at #=z6CKJhZFjyY$N$fMlzZRdJME=.#=zBMR4xTQ=.#=zznFdti8=(#=zgDb_8P4OGP5Fy_1nP0xx14k= #=zGUEa4LI=)
   at #=z6CKJhZFjyY$N$fMlzZRdJME=.#=zrQushGqVqT6L(#=zgDb_8P4OGP5Fy_1nP0xx14k= #=zGUEa4LI=)
   at #=zgeY_Na03jtcNMBza84h0RpVbwUy0.Main(String[] args)

Then there is window headed “MusicBee Startup Error” with message “Access is denied [C:\Users\...\Music\MusicBee\]”
The Task Manager shows MusicBee running, but it stops running when this last window is closed.
The MusicBee main window does not open at all

After install & run, the Folder C:\Users\...Music\MusicBee\ is empty
My music is on a networked drive and can be seen both laptop and desktop

Hoping someone can help.
Wishing all a Happy New Year
Andy

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

It seems pretty clear that there's an access issue with the Music folder. Was the MusicBee folder created? Have you checked permissions on that folder? Maybe try whitelisting MusicBee in your antivirus software.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

AndyBol

Hi, welcome to the forum!

It seems pretty clear that there's an access issue with the Music folder. Was the MusicBee folder created? Have you checked permissions on that folder? Maybe try whitelisting MusicBee in your antivirus software.

There is a MusicBee folder at c:\Program Files(x86)\MusicBee. This contains many subfolders and files including the exe file. Looks like a successful installation.
Also a MusicBee folder at C:\Users\Andy\Music\MusicBee which is empty
I am using Windows Security. Should have said that I had already allowed MusicBee access to Music folder. 
The Controlled Folder access in Windows Security looks OK to me.
Still getting the same behaviour when I run MusicBee.

frankz

Hold down shift while opening Musicbee and create a new library and put it some place else, preferably a place that the account you're using to run MB has read/write access to.

AndyBol

Hold down shift while opening Musicbee and create a new library and put it some place else, preferably a place that the account you're using to run MB has read/write access to.

I have tried this frankz. I does not help because MusicBee doesn't open properly. I think I'm right in saying that the library should be created in C:\Users\Andy\Music\MusicBee. The MusicBee folder is created OK, but it remains empty and I do not get the option of specifying a different location.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I have tried this frankz. I does not help because MusicBee doesn't open properly. I think I'm right in saying that the library should be created in C:\Users\Andy\Music\MusicBee. The MusicBee folder is created OK, but it remains empty and I do not get the option of specifying a different location.

Did you do the part where you hold down shift? Since the error is related to opening a library, I would think it wouldn't be triggered if MusicBee hasn't tried to open a library yet.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

AndyBol

Yes, I tried holding down Shift, but there was no change in behaviour. I also tried lots of variations on the theme: I held down Shift, tried the other Shift key, tried not releasing until before (and after) the "preferred language" window etc etc. Still no change in behaviour.

Can this be something to do with having a working installation on my laptop? Seems unlikely to be that because the problem remains even when laptop is switched off. I'm clutching at straws here.

frankz

No it's nothing to do with a separate install on a different system.

If you hold down shift while you open MB the first thing you get is a dialog to select or create a library.  If you're not getting this dialog you're doing it wrong.

Why not install the portable version somewhere non protected on your system?  Your permissions are screwed up somehow.

AndyBol

Many thanks, the suggestion to install portable version seems to have worked. It is currently scanning the music folders and, I guess. populating the library. I shall leave it overnight to do its work.
As you say, there must be something screwed up in my permissions.
Many thanks and best wishes to all for 2021.
Andy