Author Topic: How do I configure MusicBee to look like a file manager (Total Commander)  (Read 1435 times)

Foliant

Hello everybody!

For a long time I played my music collection by launching it through Windows Explorer and Total Commander.
First, I will explain what kind and structure of library folders I use:

Library structure:

Inbox Music
Heavy metal
  Hard Rock - Heavy -
  Death metal
  Progressive Metal
Post rock
Progressive Rock

Display view: I usually use the "list" or "table" views. I'm so used to it. And the big advantage is that I have navigation buttons "back", or rather "exit the current folder to the root". In the "table" view, this can be done simply by clicking on the line above. And in Music Bee you need to use the back and forth arrows. But they are not the same thing. By pressing the "back and forth" arrows, I move through the history ", and in order to go to the previous root folder, you need to scroll up, collapse the directory and go to the desired folder. This is not convenient.

In order to start playing a track, I went to the desired folder, looked for an album and started the track (or the entire album). Tracks were opened through Aimp. I have been using this method of playing for a long time.
But now my collection has become large and I decided to reorganize it and set up convenient access. Decided that MusicBee has many advantages.
There was a problem: I am so used to control via Total Commander that it is not convenient for me to use MusicBee.

Please tell me how you can customize the view so that it is as similar as possible to the view in Windows Explorer or Total Commander?
To clarify a little, how the music is organized inside these main folders:
when I find new music it goes to the Inbox Music folder. From there I listen to it and decide what to do next. If I liked the album, I define it in some kind of folder of genre and sub-genre
within the "super genres" the structure is as follows: Artist / Album - Year / №.Title.mp3
Why can't I use folders from the "computer" section?
Because as soon as I go into any of these folders (main folders that contain tens of gigabytes of information) MusicBee scans. It sometimes lasts for several minutes. Moreover, every time it starts scanning from the very beginning .. But I have 27,000 files in these folders. If you click immediately on the "expand" arrow, then in such cases you can open the desired album immediately. But the fact is that even if you click on an artist that contains 10 albums, this folder also takes a long time to load.

Is there some way to disable or avoid this scan?
Don't get me wrong, maybe I'm a newbie, but I tried using the "music" and "music explorer" sections, but did not find something similar in the settings.
The thing is that in these sections "music", "music explorer" everything is displayed by artist, album. But I would like to access my these 4 mega-folders (the supergenres that I indicated at the beginning of the post) so that I can navigate there like in a file manager. How can you customize this?
I've tried grouping or sorting by "folder name" but these folders don't appear there, only their contents are mixed up. I'm not used to when everything is random.

Perhaps you would advise using genres, but it won't. The fact is that if I display the list by genre, firstly they will all be in an expanded state (so you have to scroll for a very long time to the desired genre), and secondly, there are so many unnecessary clarifications, like Progressive / Neoclasic / Power Metal ... All this is good. But this is confusing. Therefore, I store several genres and subgenres combined in one folder.
Again, I need a view in which I could navigate through these mega-folders without any problems (and constant scanning) in order to access any album.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Whether you want to use the folder structure or something else to navigate your library, you can get rid of the lengthy scanning by importing everything into your library, which will get all of the scanning out of the way at once. Then you can manually rescan as needed, or setup automatic rescanning with a monitored folder.

Honestly, though, I suggest you spend some time with the wiki and discover all the other ways MusicBee offers for navigating your collection, such as the column browser, thumbnail browser and so on. There's even a standalone folder browser you can display in your library.  Here are some good places to start:

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/The_Anatomy_of_MusicBee
https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Library_Navigation_Elements
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Foliant

Whether you want to use the folder structure or something else to navigate your library, you can get rid of the lengthy scanning by importing everything into your library, which will get all of the scanning out of the way at once. Then you can manually rescan as needed, or setup automatic rescanning with a monitored folder.

Honestly, though, I suggest you spend some time with the wiki and discover all the other ways MusicBee offers for navigating your collection, such as the column browser, thumbnail browser and so on. There's even a standalone folder browser you can display in your library.  Here are some good places to start:

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/The_Anatomy_of_MusicBee
https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Library_Navigation_Elements

Thank you very much for your feedback! I will definitely study it.