Author Topic: New laptop, reliving setup/recognition/syncing issues with Windows 10  (Read 3231 times)

Mike62226

I've spent a couple of days with the Forum, Wiki and reviewing the transcript on a similar issue when Windows 10 was reinstalled on my previous laptop in August of 2019. 

**The short version, is that the player refuses to sync with the new laptop.**

Details:

It took a while to get my device and it's Internal and SD Card to get recognized in Win 10, but that seems to work consistently now.  I cannot get MB Last night, I

When I attempt to sync, I get two kinds of errors. 
....Copy failed - The requested value cannot... (at this point, it's cut off from view.  There's no bar to pull over or way to resize the columns to see what the rest of the error reads.)
...Copy failed - Error HRESULT E_Fail has b... (same issue as the line above, can't see the rest of the error)

When the sync eventually dumps out, I get Copy Failed - The requested value cannot be determined.  (Exception from HRESULT: 0x802A0006

Laptop hardware:  i7, x64, 16gb memory, 512 SSD
Laptop software:  Windows 10 Home v10.0.18363 Build 18363
MB software:  v 3.3.7491 Store  (FYI, I tried the non-Microsoft Store version as well and found it was less likely to recognize the device.)

Device:  Pioneer XDP-100R DAP*

What is where:

-All music is stored on an external WD RAID drive (E:)*
-All podcasts are stored on the laptop. (C:)*
-Music and podcasts sync via USB to the device SD Card*

*All the above is exactly as it was set up on the previous laptop.  The other laptop was very similar in configuration Win 10 Home, 12GB, 1TB SSD, MB v3.3.7483, so it's particularly frustrating to have these issues transitioning.

I copied the Settings from Laptop 1 to Laptop 2 (Edit/Saved Settings/Save Settings Snapshot).  I've then gone back through Preferences and Device Settings between the LT 1 and LT 2 MB software and confirmed the settings are identical. 

What I can do and what works:

- My device, internal storage and SD card are all visible in Windows Explorer. 
- If I got to the SD card/Music I can right click and play tracks.  I can do the same and Playlists.  (This will not work for Podcasts, for some reason.)
- On the Device page in MB, it shows a count of 10,775 files, which is roughly correct.

Comments on things that don't work that might be clues:

- Prior to adding Podcast subscriptions, MB would not "see" any of the Podcasts on the C: drive.  Once I added subscriptions, the new subscriptions were visible and I was able to do one sync successfully that added the "new" subscriptions and made them visible.  The podcasts that were already on the device still don't appear in MB. 
- Podcast "Count" in MB is 16.  When you count the lines that actually appear, its 13.  When you count what appears on the device, there are 31.  This includes the podcasts that were there originally and the ones that were added last night.  Again, so far, only the one sync for Podcasts was successful and every subsequent attempt errors out.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Let me know what else you might need from my end.

Thanks very much -

Mike

*The previous 37 page thread from my similar issue with a Windows reinstall can be found here if you search my screen name:*

ON: AUGUST 08, 2019, 06:11:49 AM

Hi -

I've been chipping away at this for a couple of hours and finally need to surrender and ask for help. 

Due to an unrelated problem with a Windows 10 update, the OS on my laptop had to be reinstalled from scratch, so I'm in the process of reinstalling all programs.  I installed MB this evening* and have not been able to get MB to recognize my Pioneer XDP-100R under "Computer".  I've used MB and the XDP together since I bought it in 2016, so I know it works.  (Except now it doesn't.)

Mike62226

200 views, so there's some interest in issues related to this topic.  No support feedback. 

It's been a week since the post and 10 days since I've been able to successfully sync.  If this can't/won't be addressed, please let me know so I know I need to start looking in to a replacement. 

Thanks very much -

Mike

phred

• Global Moderator
Just because there are 200 views doesn't mean there's an answer. People see a new topic, read it, have nothing to offer, and move on.

MB is free software, with mostly fellow-user support. Again, if readers don't have a clue as to what's causing your issue, they're not going to respond. Just because no one has replied yet, doesn't mean that there's no solution. My only suggestion to you is to not use the Store version, but you said it doesn't recognize your device. Note that the Store version is very much behind development that the Portable and Installer. If you don't think you're getting the attention you want, then start looking for another music management application that works better for you.

You might also take note of the fact that your post came in the middle of the holidays. Despite the pandemic, people are out and about and doing things.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

200 views, so there's some interest in issues related to this topic.  No support feedback.  

It's been a week since the post and 10 days since I've been able to successfully sync.  If this can't/won't be addressed, please let me know so I know I need to start looking in to a replacement.  

Thanks very much -

Mike
You've been a member of the community for nearly 5 years.  Have you ever helped support anyone else's issues?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Just because there are 200 views doesn't mean there's an answer. People see a new topic, read it, have nothing to offer, and move on.

And I'd be surprised if the majority of those aren't webcrawlers anyway
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Mike62226

Frankz-  Yes, I have been a user for 5 years, but with people like Steven, psychoadept and other far more advanced power users on here, I don't often feel like I've got a level of experience (and zero programming background) that's meaningful.  Rather than insert myself into conversations where I can't actually add any value, I tend to think keeping the clutter down on the threads is a plus.  I think my history shows that when asked by Steven to contribute by trying different versions, providing debugging info, etc., I've always responded and invested the time on my end to try to do my part when asked.

psychoadept-  I am very sensitive to the fact that I paid zero for this program and have benefited from the incredible amount of time and effort that you and the others have invested and continue to invest.  I don't believe my post was demanding or bitchy.  I am also aware that my post came during the holidays.  That's why I waited a full week before following up.  I'm sure you comments on Views are correct.  I just know that when I have a problem, the first thing I do is to lurk in threads that look similar, so I assume others also do the same. 

In my follow up, I asked if my issue could be addressed or to let me know if not so I can start looking for an alternative.  You've answered the question, so I will.  As of now, my DAP is frozen in time and I'm unable to update music, playlists or podcasts.  Like you, I imagine, I use it for hours most days.  I would hope you'd understand that I feel some urgency in getting back on track.  I'm not trying to be a jerk. 

You've been helpful to me in the past directly and through your many responses on the Forum.  I've tried to be sure to express my appreciation.  Honestly, I don't think I deserved the defensiveness.  We'll probably agree to disagree. 

So, thanks to Steven and to all of you that have supported the product.  I've enjoyed using it and I'm sure I will miss features that I've come to rely on over the past five years.  I wish you all a great (and safe) 2021. 

Mike

(Last-  If anyone that stumbles across this has a tool to reverse engineer Musicbee playlists (.mbp) to other formats that might be accessible in other players, drop me a DM.  Thanks in advance.)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
(Last-  If anyone that stumbles across this has a tool to reverse engineer Musicbee playlists (.mbp) to other formats that might be accessible in other players, drop me a DM.  Thanks in advance.)

Not going to DM because this info could be useful to others. You can export any playlists from MB in M3U format, which is close to universal. It's just a text file with file paths.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)