Author Topic: Widen the loudness adjustment scale to ease setting values, and add LUFS values.  (Read 915 times)

hiccup

I have been busy applying (fresh) loudness adjustments to my classical library.
Especially with classical music manual adjustments are often necessary after analysis.

Maybe it's me, maybe it's my mouse, maybe it's my ocd, but every time trying to get the slider at the exact position takes me a lot of time and minuscule hand/mouse coordination efforts.

So my wish is that the scale could be a little bit larger.
But thinking it through a bit, I am guessing that in order to accommodate for that the scale probably needs to be exactly twice the current length.
So before posting this I made a mock-up to see how it would turn out and if it would be doable.
And… to me it looks like it is.

Then another longstanding wish of mine roared it's ugly head again:

Have the scale display what it actually does, which is setting factual correct LUFS values.
(it is not setting any zero's or three's  ;-)

So next I tried to combine both wishes, with the understanding that many users will have a habit and a desire for simple values and some '0' anchor to cling on to.
(even if that zero doesn't really mean anything anymore these days)

So here is my mockup/wish for a new scale combining the above thoughts.
The scale being exactly twice as wide as it currently is, and displaying both the familiar scale numbers and the actual LUFS values it will set.:

Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 07:01:22 PM by hiccup

Steven

• Administrator
The slider represents a dB value that is added to the calculated replay gain dB values ie. the value is added to the calculated track and album gain for each track. So I am not understanding your statement or proposal to include the LUFS scale.
In any case, for the next update I have added some additional width to the slider (not double as that will cause conflicts with some localisations)
Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 08:21:04 AM by Steven

hiccup

The slider represents a dB value that is added to the calculated replay gain dB values ie. the value is added to the calculated track and album gain for each track. So I am not understanding your statement or proposal to include the LUFS scale.

The R128 algorithm calculates a couple types of loudness: integrated loudness, short term loudness, momentary loudness.

MusicBee uses the integrated loudness (a.k.a. program loudness), which is the perceived loudness of a recording as a whole.
When you set the slider at '0', the (integrated) loudness will be set at exactly -18LUFS. (nothing is set to any concept of '0')
When you set it to -5, it will be set to be -23LUFS. etc.

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artist/v9/en/cubase_nuendo/topics/loudness/loudness_loudness_measurement_c.html

In any case, for the next update I have added some additional width to the slider (not double as that will cause conflicts with some localisations)

Great, I was a bit afraid if anything could/would be done for that reason alone.
Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 09:00:08 AM by hiccup