Author Topic: moving music files to new location  (Read 3208 times)

raydorney

I want to move the music on my PC to an external hard drive without losing any of my Musicbee library information, how do I do this ?  In the Help section it says 'use the Send To > Folder (Move) command from MusicBee's Library Context Menu', but I don't know where this is. 

phred

• Global Moderator
Select one track or album as a test to make sure this works as expected. Make a backup of the track and/or album before proceeding.

Select the track/album > send to > folder (move) > move to folder [or move to organized folder]
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

"Musicbee's Library Context Menu" is a fancy way to say "Right Click."  Select what you want to move, right click, Send To, etc.

MTVhike

I have a similar issue, in that I want to reorganize where my files are stored. So far, I simply move the files (usually entire folders) to the new location outside of MB. I then restart MB in Administrative mode (don't know if that is necessary, but it works). The files reappear as they should. Using the Main Player, I have a Displayed Field called Path, and the files I moved are correctly located. I have another, related issue regarding Albums, for which I will create another post.

The Incredible Boom Boom

I have a similar issue, in that I want to reorganize where my files are stored. So far, I simply move the files (usually entire folders) to the new location outside of MB. I then restart MB in Administrative mode (don't know if that is necessary, but it works). The files reappear as they should. Using the Main Player, I have a Displayed Field called Path, and the files I moved are correctly located. I have another, related issue regarding Albums, for which I will create another post.

Nothing wrong with this approach, except you'll lose information about tracks not stored in them.
For example, I nuked tens of thousands of my previous play counts and last played dates not knowing this was the case.  :'(

The best way is to use MB's file organization tool, but it's not so easy if your folder structure is a bit intense (like mine.) If yours is simple, I would use it instead of moving folders outside the program.

MTVhike

IBB, you're right, but I don't care about play counts, ratings, etc. I WOULD like to know what information I should move in addition to the actual music files. When I paste the images, I select "store the image in the music file".