Author Topic: Albums, cover images, and sorting  (Read 678 times)

MTVhike

I have been rearranging my music files and have come up with a situation; further explanation here:
I have a fairly large collection of music files, from MP3, wav, various iTunes files, etc. and want to rearrange them. Mostly classical music either ripped from CDs or digitized from LPs. Many done 10 years ago, using various programs, including iTunes. These files are in several locations, many in Users/myname/music/iTunes etc. I now want to put them all in a folder called Music in the root of my C: drive to avoid the users/... situation. I want to put all the files from one CD or one LP into one album, usually with the Album name that the original CD or LP had.

When I look at my collection in MB, with "Path" included as a "Displayed Field", I can see where all these files are located. The next step is to find and select all the files which are from the same Album. I select them as a group and change the Album Name to be what I want. I then find an image of that album. In the old days, I would scan the actual CD or LP cover, but now I just Google the name of the album and can find a reasonable image of my album. I paste that image into the Album image. I then check on all the other tags and, for example, of the entire album is one artist, I make sure the artist tags are identical for all files.

Now the problem: even after this, when I sort by Album/Disc#/Composer/Artist (or any other scheme which starts with Album), not all tracks assigned to that album appear together, and the image I pasted into that album doesn't appear on all tracks. Usually it works, but sometimes not.

Another related issue (especially important for classical music) is that the tracks don't all appear in the correct order. Is there any way to force all the tracks for one composition to appear together, in track# order? Also, for longer works which were on more than one disc, how do I make all the discs to appear together?

PS, for those who care, I've given up on Picard; since I have the CDs or LPs, I have all the information I need for manual tagging.