Author Topic: Assign Sort method per Playlist and not global?  (Read 1308 times)

clsven

Ok, user scan select the sort method for a Playlist by right click on the Playlist column header and select the method.
Unfortunately this seems to be a global setting for ALL Playlists

I need a way to assign different sort method to different Playlists.
Having to switch it always manually when I switch Playlist is on the long-term tedious and unnecessary.

So is there a way to assign the sort method to a Playlist (different from the default)?

The Incredible Boom Boom

You'll need to save your layout first as a Custom Layout, then you can use "display using view" under the "Edit PlaylistType" window to select it.

clsven

Ok, thank you.
And how do I save my (current) custom layout?

I found no corresponding menu

The Incredible Boom Boom

Ok, thank you.
And how do I save my (current) custom layout?

I found no corresponding menu

Right click on the layout's tab at the top of the screen. Use Custom Layout -> Copy Current Layout To

clsven

@The incredible Boom Boom:

Thank you for explaining this feature.
However there is still a problem:

Pls follow the steps below:
1. I mark a certain playlist
2. I right click on "Playlists" tab and select the previously Custom Layout (= with Manual Sort order!). See attached snapshot 1
3. I mark another playlist
4. I right click on playlist column header and select another sort order (e.g.Artist-Title)
5. I switch back and selected again the playlist from step 1
The previously assigned Custom layout was overwritten by the sort order I assigned to Playlist Layout sort order from  step 4

Thats bad.

It seems to me that selecting a custom Layout is global for all Playlist
I want a certain Sort Order ("Manual") for only one certain Playlist.
This Sort order should be kept regardless of which sort order I specify later for other playlists.
When I revert back to the special playlist then automatically Manual sort order should be active

I expected a layout/sort order definition per playlist not via "Playlists" tab but as on option in Preferences dialog of this playlist X.
But when I go into such a Preferences dialog of Playlist X my custom Layout does not appear (see attached snapshot 2)

So whats wrong?

The Incredible Boom Boom

@The incredible Boom Boom:

Thank you for explaining this feature.
However there is still a problem:

Pls follow the steps below:
1. I mark a certain playlist
2. I right click on "Playlists" tab and select the previously Custom Layout (= with Manual Sort order!). See attached snapshot 1
3. I mark another playlist
4. I right click on playlist column header and select another sort order (e.g.Artist-Title)
5. I switch back and selected again the playlist from step 1
The previously assigned Custom layout was overwritten by the sort order I assigned to Playlist Layout sort order from  step 4

Thats bad.

It seems to me that selecting a custom Layout is global for all Playlist
I want a certain Sort Order ("Manual") for only one certain Playlist.
This Sort order should be kept regardless of which sort order I specify later for other playlists.
When I revert back to the special playlist then automatically Manual sort order should be active

I expected a layout/sort order definition per playlist not via "Playlists" tab but as on option in Preferences dialog of this playlist X.
But when I go into such a Preferences dialog of Playlist X my custom Layout does not appear (see attached snapshot 2)

So whats wrong?

My bad... Save your screen as a "View" (it even says, and I even wrote "display using view.") 🤦🏿‍♂️ (It's still good to save both your Layouts and Views, though. I use the same name for each.)

So, what you want to do is set up your Layout and View, then click the Layout-looking button to the left of the search bar at the top of the screen.
Click Main Panel -> Custom Views -> Copy Current View Settings to...

Then it'll be available in the "Edit PlaylistType" drop-down list.
Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 04:32:57 PM by The Incredible Boom Boom

clsven

My bad... Save your screen as a "View" (it even says, and I even wrote "display using view.") 🤦🏿‍♂️ (It's still good to save both your Layouts and Views, though. I use the same name for each.)

So, what you want to do is set up your Layout and View, then click the Layout-looking button to the left of the search bar at the top of the screen.
Click Main Panel -> Custom Views -> Copy Current View Settings to...

Then it'll be available in the "Edit PlaylistType" drop-down list.

Ok, thank you.....but the problem is still open.

Yes, I created now a customview from currently selected playlist with MANUAL sorting. This custom view is saved and selected  in Playlist Settings of the target Playlist (see attached snapshot).

Now I switch over to another playlist and select a different sorting with Artist-Title. I play some songs.
After that I switch back to my first Playlist and...... the sort order has changed from "Manual" to "Artist-Title" (just as the second playlist).
From what you said the playlist should always pay attention to the "display using view" from its own playlist settings
But this is not the case.

It seems to me that the sort order is NOT part of the custom view definition.
When I look at the custom View XML file (see below) then I cannot find an element similar to

Code
<sortorder>Manual</sortorder>

So is the sort order really a part of a custom view?

custom view selection

custom view xml file content:

Code
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ApplicationSettings xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<PanelLayout>0</PanelLayout>
<Fields>
 <MediaField>
  <Code>20</Code>
  <Width>16</Width>
 </MediaField>
 <MediaField>
  <Code>127</Code>
  <Width>17</Width>
 </MediaField>
 <MediaField>
  <Code>78</Code>
  <Width>37</Width>
 </MediaField>
 <MediaField>
  <Code>32</Code>
  <Width>246</Width>
 </MediaField>
 <MediaField>
  <Code>65</Code>
  <Width>281</Width>
 </MediaField>
 <MediaField>
  <Code>75</Code>
  <Width>75</Width>
 </MediaField>
 <MediaField>
  <Code>16</Code>
  <Width>56</Width>
 </MediaField>
 <MediaField>
  <Code>13</Code>
  <Width>139</Width>
 </MediaField>
 <MediaField>
  <Code>12</Code>
  <Width>133</Width>
 </MediaField>
 <MediaField>
  <Code>179</Code>
  <Width>121</Width>
 </MediaField>
</Fields>
<SortOverride>6</SortOverride>
<Grouping>0</Grouping>
<ConsolidateAlbums>false</ConsolidateAlbums>
<TrackDetailHeaderContrast>0</TrackDetailHeaderContrast>
</ApplicationSettings>

Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 10:20:03 AM by clsven

The Incredible Boom Boom

Are you saving each view separately? I haven't quite figured out how things "reset," but the only way to have my layouts and views not take on attributes from others is by not using any of the default ones at all. I also don't quite remember how I got mine to "stick." Try creating a "Default" layout first, then save the layout and view as "Playlist" or whatever. From there, save another layout and view "Playlist Sort." Or whatever. Make your changes in the "Playlist Manual Sort," then save them (to "Playlist Sort") again. Last, save another layout and view as "Playlist Custom Sort"... or whatever. Make your changes, then save them (to "Playlist Custom Sort.")

Maybe that will work.

Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 06:52:34 PM by The Incredible Boom Boom