Author Topic: Ability to choose album artwork WITHOUT relying on track 1?  (Read 1561 times)

SonicRings

It seems Musicbee is unable to set a unique album artwork per album relative to the tracks, and instead only grabs whatever artwork the first track uses. Not sure if it's classified as a bug, so please feel free to move this thread to the bug reporting forum if that is the case.

Take this as an example. Each of the 4 tracks has their own artwork. The album itself should have its own unique artwork which is a combination of the 4 tracks' artworks.

However, when each track has their own artwork embedded, Musicbee only displays track 1's artwork in the album view. It doesn't see the Cover.png.

Now, if I set the album artwork as the Cover.png within Musicbee's artwork editor tab, it will change all tracks' artwork to the Cover.png. I can technically change tracks 2-4 without affecting the album artwork, but once I change track 1, the album's artwork changes.

I have to instead use a dummy file which appears before track 1, and set that track's artwork to the Cover.png. I don't even have to embed it, since it just uses the Cover.png, so that's nice I guess.

However, this makes the album look ugly.

I'd really like to be able to choose a unique album artwork that's independent of the track artwork.

The Incredible Boom Boom

I think Steven implemented this, but I'm not exactly sure how it works and I'm also not clear on how it's different from Tag Editor -> Artwork and checking "primary picture," which I think is what you're wanting to accomplish?

SonicRings

I think Steven implemented this, but I'm not exactly sure how it works and I'm also not clear on how it's different from Tag Editor -> Artwork and checking "primary picture," which I think is what you're wanting to accomplish?
Yeah, that's exactly what I was doing. It doesn't do what I want, unless I'm missing something.

Steven

• Administrator
The primary picture is used as the normal display picture. For the main panel, the primary picture of the first album track is used. For the track info panel, the primary picture of the current playing track is displayed.
So if you embed pictures in your music files and make the embedded picture the primary, then a different picture is displayed in the track info panel for each playing track in the album.
That only leaves a problem for the first track of an album if you want a different picture for the album to be displayed in the main panel.
In v3.4 there is a setting in Preferences/ Tags(1)/ artwork - set which pictures are displayed/ Edit List
"prefer folder artwork for album covers displayed in the main panel"
if that is ticked, MB will use any folder picture (eg. cover.jpg, folder.jpg etc) associated with the first file in the album in preference to the primary embedded picture for display in the main panel.
Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 06:55:56 AM by Steven

SonicRings

The primary picture is used as the normal display picture. For the main panel, the primary picture of the first album track is used. For the track info panel, the primary picture of the current playing track is displayed.
So if you embed pictures in your music files and make the embedded picture the primary, then a different picture is displayed in the track info panel for each playing track in the album.
That only leaves a problem for the first track of an album if you want a different picture for the album to be displayed in the main panel.
In v3.4 there is a setting in Preferences/ Tags(1)/ artwork - set which pictures are displayed/ Edit List
"prefer folder artwork for album covers displayed in the main panel"
if that is ticked, MB will use any folder picture (eg. cover.jpg, folder.jpg etc) associated with the first file in the album in preference to the primary embedded picture for display in the main panel.
Thanks a lot for the information! I've went ahead and ticked the checkbox which was previously unticked.

I notice that the tracks don't actually show their embedded artwork in the queue anymore, showing instead the cover.png (even without the dummy file being present) but it shows the proper artwork in the left panel. Is there a way to make the queue also show the embedded artwork? As it stands I would rather put up with using a dummy file in order to have the tracks in the queue show the proper artwork.

These are my current settings. Any suggestions?