Author Topic: Unable to start playback (error=BASS_ERROR_START)  (Read 3786 times)

PhilParma

I just set up a new desktop the other day. I installed MusicBee, and when trying to play any of my files, the file plays for about 2 seconds, and the it pauses. Then, if I try to play any file, I get this error:  "BASS_ERROR_START"

Here is a screenshot of the error: 

Does anyone know how I might fix this?

PhilParma

Maybe I should have put this in the Questions forum rather than Bugs because it seems as though this problem isn't specific to MusicBee.  For example:

1) when starting a youtube video, the audio will sometimes cut out after a second or two. But if I arrow back a few seconds in the video timeline, then the audio runs though fine.
2) On Microsoft's Groove Music application, sometimes, a second or two after starting to play a track, the audio cuts out for moment, but then it kicks right back in.
On MusicBee, the audio doesn't kick back in. It stops and then the application errors out, as noted.

frankz

Your antivirus is probably blocking a needed file incorrectly. Whitelist your MB directory and try.

Steven

• Administrator
My suggestions are to make sure your audio driver is up to date and also try using DirectSound or other output modes in the Player preferences

PhilParma

I added a security exclusion for the folder that all of my music files are stored in and that seems to have solved it. The problems that I'm having with youtube must be a separate issue.

Thanks.

phred

• Global Moderator
I added a security exclusion for the folder that all of my music files are stored in and that seems to have solved it.
White listing the directory where your music is stored would not resolve the problem as the music files are not executables. But if it works it works. When it does happen again, do what frankz suggested - whitelist the directory in which MB is installed.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

PhilParma

White listing the directory where your music is stored would not resolve the problem as the music files are not executables. But if it works it works. When it does happen again, do what frankz suggested - whitelist the directory in which MB is installed.

Ok thanks. If it happens again I'll whitelist MusicBee as well.

mnelson109

Mine is doing the same, with a new Yamaha receiver. Any advice?

UPDATE: Did as Steven suggested above, and it is now working and not repeating. The laptop would go into sleep mode as well, and would cause a disconnect (the  stereo system would stop playing, then the laptop would switch to internal speakers), fixed this by not allowing the laptop to sleep.  As a side note, thanks Steven for assistance, as well as a great music player!
Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 07:11:59 PM by mnelson109

HAL Lives

Is this error specific to v3.3?

I've been using MB since 2017 and never saw this error 'til I did a fresh install of v3.3.7491 yesterday.

Since then I've had this error pop-up half a dozen times or more while I've been building my library/configuring MB etc.

Thanks.

phred

• Global Moderator
Apply the patch for the latest 3.4. See my signature.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here