Author Topic: How to set restrictions on organizing library files?  (Read 2201 times)

arboch

Hey, all.

The organizing library files is a really great and helpful feature.
However, is there a way to set restrictions on it? That is, defining which files should NOT be automatically organized.

I'm able to see that I can define an exception to my file organization rule, but this appears to just change how the files are organized, and not which files should be organized:

I want it so that all files that I send to my music library via inbox are automatically organized, except if their Folder Name is 'TestFolderName'. Is that possible? How would I go about doing that?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I don't want to necrobump this thread, but after a couple weeks, I found a potential solution! (Requires multiple drives, though). I just separated the files that I don't want automatically organized on a separate drive and they aren't organized! Problem solved!
Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 07:58:22 AM by arboch

The Incredible Boom Boom

I do not use the feature, but I think "automatically sweep and organize new files" in the same Preferences window, under "monitored folders" is what does what you're looking to do.

arboch

I do not use the feature, but I think "automatically sweep and organize new files" in the same Preferences window, under "monitored folders" is what does what you're looking to do.
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I think this has the same sort of exception rules. It prompts me for a naming template as well:

Still on the search for something that might be able to accomplish this feature!

If all else fails, do you know if I might be able to code a plugin with this functionality? I'm not averse to learning the API.

frankz

Can't you just set the templates to the current filename or path (i.e. <Path> or <Filename> I think (or whatever the right field for the current status is I'm not in front of it right now. Maybe <URL>))?

arboch

Can't you just set the templates to the current filename or path (i.e. <Path> or <Filename> I think (or whatever the right field for the current status is I'm not in front of it right now. Maybe <URL>))?
It appears that when I set the template to just <Filename> as in:

it will still move the files, but just remove any sort of organizing folders and plop down the mp3s into my music folder as-is:

So unfortunately still not refraining from moving my files :(
Is that what you meant? I tried looking for <URL> and <Path> as well and they weren't present in the Field Selector.

frankz

I wasn't in front of my computer as I said and was going from memory.

Just use <URL> and they should stay where they are.  Just because it's not in the field selector doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

arboch

I wasn't in front of my computer as I said and was going from memory.

Just use <URL> and they should stay where they are.  Just because it's not in the field selector doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
My apologies! I wasn't aware that the Field Selector wasn't exhaustive.
Pardon my incompetence, but what am I doing wrong here? When I specify <URL> as the naming template it still moves the files but just names them with the original pathname.

Should I be specifying <URL> differently?
Here's what I've got for reference.

EDIT: I also tried using <Path>\<Filename> which got me a little closer, but still not quite there:

(this folder contains all the original files untouched)
Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 08:17:15 AM by arboch

The Incredible Boom Boom

Wouldn't you just need to add ..\TestFolderName to the excluded monitored folders list?

frankz

Hmmm...That's not working as I expected.  I don't use auto-organize for just this reason. You can't account for everything and it's usually easier to do things manually in the long run.

I think IBB is onto something with the "Exclude" button.  It's right next to "Choose Folders" in the monitored folder section.

The Incredible Boom Boom

Hmmm...That's not working as I expected.  I don't use auto-organize for just this reason. You can't account for everything and it's usually easier to do things manually in the long run.

I'm totally terrified of using it. Lol

I instead use MP3TAG an Action Group to rename files into my format and then after making sure tags are ok and then another that moves files from my "to be tagged" folder to a "ready to move" folder based on all sorts of criteria. If things look good there, the last step is a PowerShell script that checks if the artist folder is in any of my tagged music folders and moves it to the appropriate location if so.

arboch

Wouldn't you just need to add ..\TestFolderName to the excluded monitored folders list?
Thanks! This is a solution to my problem.
However, I used the monitored folders to send stuff to the inbox as a means of messing around with the tags before I'm satisfied and send it off to the library to be auto-organized. So this fix unfortunately means that I have to organize stuff right away in the inbox which means tag changes don't update the directory it's in.

I think I may try to code a plugin that implements this functionality for the music library section (if that's even possible).
Thanks again though!