Author Topic: How should I organize Remixes, Bootlegs, Mashups?  (Read 803 times)

wasp

All my music library is in one folder called “Releases”. This folder includes Singles, Remixes, Mashups, Edits, Bootlegs, Instrumentals, Acoustic, Vocal Mixes (no albums or compilations).

I like to filter my library with the column browser using the “Album artist”, “Genre”, “Year”, “BPM”, “Key”, "Grouping". Currently, the “Grouping” tag is used to separate the releases into different types i.e. Singles, Remixes, Acoustic etc.

Problem: For releases that are remix, bootleg, Mashup, tracks would still of course appear under the corresponding album artist column. So for example:

#1) Ramin Djawadi - Game of Thrones (KSHMR; The Golden Army Remix)
The Album artist is Ramin Djawadi - however since it was remixed I would want it to appear only under (both) KSHMR and The Golden Army
#2) Offir Malol;  Joel Fletchel  - Here We Wallak [ft Fatman Scoop] (KSHMR Edit)
Again the Album artist is Offir Malol; Joel Fletchel  but I would want the release to appear only under KSHMR as it was remixed by that artist.

The problem is that in the column browser I'm using "album artist".

I can think of a few solutions but not ideal.

Solution 1: Start separating all music into folders by artist (so in each artist folder put releases related to that artist). This solves the problem but its a time consuming process.

Solution 2: To create an additional folder for Remix, Bootleg, Mashup and create a different playlist dedicated for this purpose.  Then use a tag such as composer for the artist doing the remix, edit, bootleg and have the Composer column in the column browser. However, I don’t want to start splitting releases in different folders and having different playlists. I’d like one playlist where I can filter all my library..

Solution 3: Use a tag such as “Remixer” provided by MB. However, there are a few things I don’t like with this approach that I can list.

Is there any other solution which I didn't think of to keep all music in a single folder and whereby an artist’s releases i.e. singles, mashups, bootlegs, remixes, edits  will be found under a single artist location when I select the artist in MB?

Thank you for your time