Author Topic: Sound Quality VS VLC Media Player  (Read 3231 times)

spdjmc

Hi All,

I have just started using Music Bee for it's interface. Previously I have been manually playing my 12/24bit FLAC songs from Windows Explorer folders on VLC (lol) .

After switching to the much better interface on MB, I can't help but notice that my ears are picking up different sound signatures from MB vs VLC. VLC though a raw, boring player seem to produce better a overall warmer, detailed instrument seperation sound as compared to MB. Something about MB's sound is odd. It could be the slight treble increase that is colouring the overall brightness and setting an odd EQ on it. I don't think EQ-ing it will resolve it.

Changing between WASAPI and Directsound doesn't do anything. Resampling to 96/192k reveals more of the instruments in the music but makes overall sound more treble-y and fatiguing. VLC's sound is just perfectly tune. Would like to stay with MB's interface but would like to have VLC's sound.  Any ideas how to fix this?

Música

I only use VLC for videos on my PC, but do notice that it plays my music louder. Try, in MusicBee, going to Controls and clicking Replay Gain Off. I noticed increased volume when I first started using MB a year or two ago, but haven't compared nor explored this further, nor can I be a good guide on optimizing playback. Volume does always reveal music in recordings.

Terry Walker

Logan

Musicbee requires at least 24hrs to burn in. Give it some time.

On a more serious note why not record the output from each player in something like audacity and overlay the results. Bet you my pension you can't see a difference.