Author Topic: "Encode Failed - aacGain.exe not found" Anyone else having this?  (Read 2292 times)

bigdonkey1

Trying to sync some tracks and keep getting the error "Encode Failed - aaGain.exe not found". I tried following the instructions on the Help tab but neroaac didn't seem to help, i tried installing aacgain directly and still no results. nothing i seem to do works and i have no idea what else to do

sveakul

Is the file aacgain.exe actually present in your main MusicBee folder (with MusicBee.exe, etc.)?

bigdonkey1

Yep. It wasn't at first, but i put it in the codec folder and directed musicbee to it, which it accepted in the File Converters tab of the preferences.

Tried the same with nero which was the default option and got from the official source in Help. Neither worked.

sveakul

Aacgain.exe is not a codec or a format converter/encoder, it's a tool used for applying volume normalization based on replay gain values to AAC files.  It shouldn't be in the "Codec" folder, but in the main MusicBee folder.

It sounds to me like you are trying to create AAC files (since you mentioned neroaac) using MusicBee's Format Conversion options??  Please describe exactly what you are trying to do, and what type of music files are involved, so we can help you get results.
Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:55:10 AM by sveakul

lamely lounges

i just got this problem today for the first time.
i hadn't tried to sync music in a long time until today.

i downloaded some new music from bandcamp to my computer.
the files are m4a  lossless.
in my preferences, i had previously checked the box that i want to level the sound volume by track.
in my folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee) i don't have this file:  aacgain.exe

any suggestion on where to get that file or fix the problem?

thanks!

lamely lounges

I found the download for aacgain on the rarewares website and now I am wondering if it's a BAD IDEA to use it.
From the "readme" file, quoted below, you can see it stated that the music files will be changed and the changes are not completely reversable.
That sounds like a bad idea to me.  Especially as I am trying to use lossless music files.  Surely your lossless music files should never change.

I appreciate comments and opinions from the experts!

USAGE NOTES

1. BACK UP YOUR MUSIC FILES BEFORE USING AACGAIN! UNLIKE MP3GAIN, AACGAIN IS
   NOT COMPLETELY REVERSABLE. THE UNDO OPTION IS INTENDED TO RESTORE A MUSIC
   FILE TO BE FUNCTIONALLY EQUIVALENT TO ITS ORIGINAL STATE, BUT IT WILL NOT
   BE BIT-FOR-BIT IDENTICAL TO THE ORIGINAL FILE. IT IS POSSIBLE FOR APPLE
   TO CHANGE THE ITUNES MUSIC FILE FORMAT IN WAYS THAT ARE INCOMPATIBLE
   WITH AACGAIN, RESULTING TO CORRUPTED MUSIC FILES THAT CANNOT BE RESTORED
   TO THEIR ORIGINAL STATE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGED FILES.

sveakul

I found the download for aacgain on the rarewares website and now I am wondering if it's a BAD IDEA to use it.
From the "readme" file, quoted below, you can see it stated that the music files will be changed and the changes are not completely reversable.
That sounds like a bad idea to me.  Especially as I am trying to use lossless music files.  Surely your lossless music files should never change.

It's a bad idea.

Steven

• Administrator
aacgain and mp3gain are only used for the file converter or synching ie. where a copy of the original file is made, so the original is untouched.
You might want to use if your device player doesnt support replaygain tags