Author Topic: Backups  (Read 1598 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
Is the Panel Arrangement saved when using File > Library > Backup Library? I know it can be save when using View > Import/Export > Import/Export Panel Arrangement. But I'm wondering if it's included in the Library Backup.

Thanks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

I never used that feature, so I thought to try it on a portable test install.
After successfully creating the backup, I was expecting to go to the same menu for a Backup < Restore function. But that doesn't seem to exist?

The created folder does contain a file called '!! Previous Settings.layout'.
By using 'Import panel arrangement' you can navigate to it and so restore the panels.

There are a lot of other files, folders and settings in the backup folder.
I'll admit I don't know at this moment what the best and easiest way would be to get all of it restored.

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for testing it and having us both become a little more confused. The timeline on this was that the Library Backup existed long before the Panel Arrangement backup came into being. I believe the latter arrived with the ability to relocate panels. That being said, I don't believe the layout (Panel Arrangement) is backed up as part of the Library Backup.

The file "!! Previous Settings.layout" doesn't sound like a backup of the panel arrangement currently in use. I -believe- that file is created whenever the user creates a new layout. But I may be wrong.  When using the View > Import/Export back of the panel arrangement you get a file named "MusicBee Panel Layout 2020-02-11.layout". Although both the "!! Previous" and the "current" are just about the same file size.

I just compared a Panel backup (export) with the !! Previous and they both contain the same number of lines, but a different number of characters. I thought there was a way to compare two text files side-by-side in Notepad++ but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

I think we'll need Steven to weigh in with his take on this.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

I thought there was a way to compare two text files side-by-side in Notepad++ but I can't seem to find it at the moment.
Do you have the necessary  'Compare' plugin installed for it?

We will be expecting a great FAQ article on the matter from you in a couple of days ;-)

phred

• Global Moderator
Do you have the necessary  'Compare' plugin installed for it?
Of course I have it installed. Errr... I just didn't remember that it was a plugin and that I would find it under Plugins.  <sigh>

We will be expecting a great FAQ article on the matter from you in a couple of days ;-)
Seeing as how this is the first time this question has come up, I feel it hasn't yet reached the status of a FREQUENTLY Asked Question. But when I does, I'll take care of it.

And now, back to the topic at hand. I compared my !! Previous Settings.layout with the layout files created before and after the file date of the "!!" and none are an exact match.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

Seeing as how this is the first time this question has come up, I feel it hasn't yet reached the status of a FREQUENTLY Asked Question. But when I does, I'll take care of it.
Meh, not that fast. You could create a Tips & Tricks, or even better, a wiki for it.

phred

• Global Moderator
@Steven...
Is the Panel Arrangement saved when using File > Library > Backup Library? I know it can be save when using View > Import/Export > Import/Export Panel Arrangement. But I'm wondering if it's included in the Library Backup.

Thanks.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

@phred

Since you are in the process of getting a better understanding of MusicBee's 'backing up and restoring panels and preferences etc. features', I am wondering if you could help with this:

There is one thing I hate about the way saving custom settings work.
(I really wanted to write hate in capitals, but I controlled myself)

When having set e.g. the track details panel with the columns and their widths as you like it, you can save that setting. ('copy current settings to')
So you are now confident that you can easily restore that whenever it's needed.

Nope, not in reality you can.
Because whenever you change the slightest little thing in the panel, your saved preset gets overwritten.
So it's gone, and your troubles setting and saving it were completely wasted and for nothing.

My question to you:
I may very well be missing something here (because I would assume many more users would complain about this), so if you find or know of a way to actually easily backup & restore these settings, could you explain how?

phred

• Global Moderator
When having set e.g. the track details panel with the columns and their widths as you like it, you can save that setting. ('copy current settings to')
So you are now confident that you can easily restore that whenever it's needed.

Nope, not in reality you can.
Hmmm ... I have rarely used the save custom layout option. But trying it now, I can confirm what you're seeing. Trying to restore the column widths to what I had just saved, does not work. Perhaps a bug? Perhaps we both misunderstand how this is supposed to work?

I may very well be missing something here (because I would assume many more users would complain about this), so if you find or know of a way to actually easily backup & restore these settings, could you explain how?
No, I don't think I can. I can state in the affirmative that exporting (saving) and importing (restoring) the panel arrangement works. But it doesn't restore the width of the columns in the track details view. I can also confirm that saving and loading the settings does nothing in the way of restoring the column widths. So I would bump this up to Steven to see if one of the current backups/saves/export options is supposed to save the column width. I'm hesitant to bring this up as a bug report at this point since maybe it's something that has never been implemented. In which case it will go on the Wishlist.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

Thanks for looking into this, I feared this was the case.
I may have created a wish for this a while back. (I'm not very sure though, maybe I only complained about it somewhere ;-) I'll check later)
But if you come up with a couple of suggestions for improvements on this matter, perhaps list them together in a new wish?