Author Topic: Discussion thread for contributions and suggestions for the FAQ board  (Read 3101 times)

hiccup

This thread is intended to discuss possible new topics, edits, and anything else related to the FAQ forum board.

To fellow forum members:

If you have a suggestions or a request for a FAQ/issue that you believe is missing, or have suggestions for other improvements on existing topics:

Please reply in this thread with an explanation on your idea.
Or even better: create a concept example text of the FAQ/issue you are suggesting?

The board moderators will be reading this thread, and could then decide to create a new FAQ topic using your input.

To FAQ forum board moderators:

This could be a good place to also discuss anything related to this board?
Make proposals, discuss edits, etc.?

Let me know what you think, I can edit this post accordingly.

hiccup

Now that the board is live, I think there is now some pressure on trying to agree and decide on the child boards that it should (could) contain.

They don't have all to be created immediately. That can be done piece by piece and over time, only when an editor has a new topic that needs a place.
Some of the child boards may never need to be created, depending on how this all progresses and unfolds.

But such a (over)complete template will be very helpful as a reference for the near future.
It will be good to give it some serious thought now, and not leave this a bit hanging, which will very likely later on result in having renewed and repeated discussions, and it needing corrections, moving posts, etc.

Let me start by posting the proposal where we left off in the other thread.

I have removed 'Terminology' since frankz had a good point on that.
And I created child boards under 'Additional features', since these two topics have not enough in common to be sharing one child board.
Another candidate for a couple of well-described child boards probably would be 'Library'. It is rather generic now.

Also I have not yet given it good enough thought to where some issues such as e.g. 'keyboard-shortcuts', 'lyrics', 'artwork retrieval' should go. And I may be overlooking some other 'issue candidates' that need a place.
So it surely is in need of some improvement.

Also the wording of the subtitles will need to be reviewed. Currently they are more intended as helpful keywords.
But that can wait until we are sure about what child boards there will be exactly.

----------

FAQ

>   About MusicBee

>   About this board

>   Frequently asked questions and issues

>    MusicBee program
               installation – updates – interface – virus alerts

>    Additional features
               >   addons & plugins
               >   cd ripping

>   Artwork & Lyrics
              >   Artwork
              >   Lyrics

>    Audio
               quality – loudness – formats

>    Layout
               display modes – panels

>    Library
               >   album & songs grouping – playlists
               >   file organisation

>    Portable audio players

>    Tagging
               custom & virtual tags – tagging standards

>    Web services
               podcasts – radio — last.fm

----------

edit, the proposal is updated:

I found a location for keyboard shortcuts. ('interface' under 'MusicBee program')
I created two child boards for Library
I created a new board for Artwork & Lyrics
The reason I didn't put those under 'tagging' is that artwork and lyrics are not per definition always metadata (tags) in the files themselves.
But maybe others have different ideas or suggestions on this?
Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 05:59:25 PM by hiccup

hiccup

I added subtitles for the child boards.
I am proposing to get this done so we can get the show on the road.

- - - -

FAQ

>   About MusicBee

>   About this board

>   Frequently asked questions and issues

>    MusicBee program
               FAQs and common issues regarding:   installation – updates – interface – virus alerts

>    Additional features
               FAQs and common issues regarding:   cd ripping – addons & plugins

>   CD ripping
                         FAQs and common issues regarding:   cd ripping

>   Addons & plugins
                         FAQs and common issues regarding:   addons & plugins

>    Artwork and lyrics
                FAQs and common issues regarding:   artwork & lyrics

>   Artwork
                         FAQs and common issues regarding:   artwork

>   Lyrics
                         FAQs and common issues regarding:   lyrics

>    Audio
               FAQs and common issues regarding:   audio quality – loudness – formats

>    Layout
               FAQs and common issues regarding:   display modes & panels

>    Library
               FAQs and common issues regarding:   file organisation — album & songs grouping – playlists

>   File organisation
                           FAQs and common issues regarding:   file organisation

>   Album & songs grouping – playlists
                           FAQs and common issues regarding:   album & songs grouping – playlists

>    Portable audio players
               FAQs and common issues regarding:   portable audio players

>    Tagging
               FAQs and common issues regarding:   custom & virtual tags – tagging standards

>    Web services
               FAQs and common issues regarding:   podcasts – radio – last.fm

- - - -

We could also already create the start post for all of them, for now it saying something like:  'no contents yet'
Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 09:41:25 AM by hiccup

Steven

• Administrator
It is probably going to be better to have this as an index page that is the first sticky on the board. Its not going to work from a display perspective if there are lots of child boards when viewing the main forum page and I cant control how it is displayed

hiccup

Its not going to work from a display perspective if there are lots of child boards when viewing the main forum page
When taking the current board 'Customizations' as an example:
If you click it from the main forum board page, you get it's child boards presented nicely.
Then you select the child board that you are interested in.
What makes the latest proposal for the FAQ board structure different from that?

edit:
Do you mean that it literally won't work, or do you mean you don't like how it would work?
Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 09:05:03 PM by hiccup

Steven

• Administrator
The number and width of the child board header blocks displayed on the main forum page - if you can have each child board with a one word header then that would work

hiccup

The number and width of the child board header blocks displayed on the main forum page - if you can have each child board with a one word header then that would work

Ah, you mean the issue that I raised here earlier:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=16894.msg184340#msg184340

Personally I would sacrifice these main page shortcut labels for this without much hesitation.

edit:
The above is pobably not even necessary to consider.
If you look at the current proposal, there only would be three child boards under FAQ:

- About MusicBee
- About this board
- Frequently asked questions and issues

I think that would fit without any problem?
(if you feel it doesn't, the third could change to something like just 'FAQs')

Steven

• Administrator
I dont think [About MusicBee] and [About this board] are worthy of being child boards - surely a sticky topic in the FAQ suffices
and [Frequently asked questions and issues] is way too long to display as a child board header when displayed in the main forum page and not consistent with other child board headers that are just one or sometimes two words.
I cant see any way to hide child boards from displaying in the main forum page, so it will just end up cluttering the main forum page.
At this point I dont have a suggestion that would work well

edit:
The only way I can think of is to use child boards. If can whittle it down to a few single word first-level child boards then I would be OK with that. Anything under each child board is fine
Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 07:52:35 AM by Steven