Author Topic: Moving within column causes a mess in library tags  (Read 694 times)

freasy

On the left of the main page, I placed a column listing the various genres, which I use to navigate within my library.
While I move within the genre column, sometimes Musicbee starts to edit all files modifying the genre, today for example it started to modify them writing as genre "Tutti (155 elementi)" which is Italian, my language (now I have set Musicbee in English only to make printscreens more understandable), and this word means "All (155 elements)", this word is the APEX of the column, therefore WASN'T EVEN A GENRE, and Musicbee used it to update the genre tag in the files. (155 was the number of the genres in my library, now it has become 156).
After a few seconds I immediately closed Musicbee to avoid it completely ruining my library, (because I don't trust the undo function as it often doesn't work when it comes to editing multiple files).

Please note that, as visible in the second image, in the Preferences, in the "Tag (2)" window, the "re-tag files when dropped on an album cover or column browser" option is DISABLED.

Please can anyone help to fix this bug??
In these 3 years of use I have come across this problem several times and it is really terrible, I can no longer stand that Musicbee repeatedly ruins the organization of the library for no reason.

Thank you all

Steven

• Administrator
What panel are you using in the left side - it looks like the library explorer, can you describe some more how you move within the panel eg. With the up and down keys?

freasy

What panel are you using in the left side - it looks like the library explorer, can you describe some more how you move within the panel eg. With the up and down keys?

Yes it's the Library Explorer, as visible in the image below of the Panel Configuration.

I move inside the panel by clicking the rows with mouse or touchpad, in the specific case of yesterday I was using the touchpad.
This bug has happened to me about 7 times in 3 years and I use Musicbee frequently... it seems to happen when I go to click on a panel row and on some rare occasions it triggers a process like if I had dragged (perhaps holding pressed the click by mistake) and dropped the previous selection on the now clicked row and Musicbee starts modifying the files by inserting the row clicked as genre... almost as if sometimes the "Re-tag files when dropped on an album cover or column browser" option is automatically reactivated, however this wouldn't be enough to justify yesterday's case, as Musicbee used the apex word of the panel "All (155 elements)", which is not a genre, as an element to insert as genre in the files, which shouldn't happen even if the "re-tag files when dropped...." was enabled.

(I've tried several times to repeat the movements in order to find the sequence that triggers the bug, but I have not been successful, in fact, when I try to select and drag elements on rows of the panel, the prohibition symbol appears and even if I drop the selection nothing happens...So I can't understand why sometimes this bug is triggered...)

Steven

• Administrator
I cant reproduce this or even see from the code how it could be possible eg. it explicitly excludes updates when files are dropped on the "All" node, blocks dropping on the library explorer when the drag is started from the library explorer and its also definitely applying the "Re-tag files when dropped on an album cover or column browser" setting.
So I am afraid I have no ideas what the issue might be caused by or any suggestions other than to update to v3.5

freasy

It's been almost a year and the bug is still there and still making huge messes in the files. I've lost count of all the times I've had to start from scratch and fix files tag because Musicbee goes crazy and modifies my files...
Today I got tired and decided to record the screen while I move frantically in the column, in order to share with you the occurrence of the bug, below is the video link. At 0:09 second and 0:23 second you can see in the bottom left corner of the video that Musicbee is editing and saving files following the bug which happens sporadically and without any logic. (P.S. I recorded the video clips while I still had the program set to Italian, "Salvataggio file" means saving files, while "aggiornato" means updated).

https://youtu.be/IfK1nWvOpOA

PLEASE, do something, I love Musicbee but this bug is really crap, I don't know how many days I've already lost due to this.

Thanks a lot to everyone
Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 02:28:23 PM by freasy

Steven

• Administrator
if i do the drag/drop really fast and repeatedly then i can trigger windows to do some unexpected behavior that will lead to the re-tagging setting being ignore.
This should address that:
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee35_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

freasy

Ok, thank you so much, I will try it. So will this patch also be included in the next downloadable versions?

phred

• Global Moderator
Yes
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here